1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vibration at 2000 rpm?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by j force, May 16, 2001.

1. j force

j force Junior Member

i have a 84 chevy pick up with a 350 sb .it seems to idle fine but at about 2000 rpm's i get a wierd vibration ,,it mellows out as i give it gas ,any thoughts??/
  2. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

What type of exhaust are you running off of this 350? I also have a 350 s.b. in my 85GMC and right about 1950-2000RPMs the muffler produces a perfect tone that makes everything inside rattle. I am running Flowmaster Muffler. I have also heard the same noise from a 84 Camero at 1900RPMs. Its a vibration that makes everything inside my cab rattle. I'm sure if you have a loud enough muffler it does this. Also at 55-60 it feels like my front end rattles. I am running 31 10.50 All Terrains and upon enquiring wierd rattle to a mechanice we figured out the lugnuts at that speed are expanding because any speed above or below that it doesnt happen. Same with the muffler a hair above or below 2000RPMs and it goes away. Hope this helps!
  3. mstyles0927

mstyles0927 Junior Member

Also check the Ujoints at the front and back of the rear driveline. My rear Ujoint was wearing badly, and there was a bad vibration at medium RPMs. A new Ujoint took care of the vibration.
  4. RTallday

RTallday Member

Now then, does it vibrate when you are not moving as well? If it does, then it is not a U-joint. If it always vibrates at around 2000 rpms, check out the harmonic balancer. If this is bad, loose or anything other then perfect, you will get a vibration. Let me know.

5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

One other possibility that may or may not apply to your situation: If your driveshaft is a 2-piece unit, the centre support bearing and/or splines may be worn which could cause vibration.
  6. Power mad

Power mad Member
    from Oregon

The center support bearing was realy bad in my 81 burb.
    After replacing it the vibration was worse than ever.
    I put it up on jack stands and had a buddy run it slowly to 55mph.
    The shaft looked like a jump rope. :(
    $35 to have the rear shaft balanced and $15 to straighten.
    See ya
  7. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

Also, don't forget to check the other end of the engine: flexplate/torque convertor or flywheel/clutch combo. Again, problems in this area will be apparent whether you're sitting in the driveway or running down the road.