1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vibration and 4x4 sound

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DBL, Dec 31, 2005.

1. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

ill try to be as specific as i can but i need some help with my 03 dodge ram 2500 diesel. all of this just started happening a couple days ago first when i went to put it in 4x4 as i took off (1st gear in the 6spd manual) i took off slowly and it made a ticking sound but like a high pitch ticking. then last night my truck as i was slowing down at a traffic light it just started vibrating and i had the sound like as if i had mud terrain tires on my truck like that sound going over the road. any advise and if you need anymore info let me know i really hope theres nothing major wrong with my truck. also i know i need front brakes could this have anythign to do with the problems
  2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Sounds typical of a front axle joint going out.
  3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I could be wrong but the front axle U-joints are continuously spinning wether the truck is in 4wd or not. The front prop shaft is the only part that moves only when in 4wd. That's where I would start looking.
  4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

The U-Joints do move not matter 2wd of 4wd. It is worth a check! Good luck.:waving:
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Just replaced the front drive shaft in my '03 2500 CTD.

When it was in 4 wheel drive, it sounded like a tick when going straight, but if you tried to turn, it sounded like metal was being HARSHLY ground off.

The dealer replaced the front u-joints first, but that wasn't it. Ended up being the front drive shaft.

Glad I was still under warranty.

How many miles do you have on your '03??? They've got a 70k mile warranty on the drivetrain.
  6. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i only have about 50k on it so im calling the dealer monday and i hope that resolves the vibration too thanks for the help and ill let you ghuys know how it goes