1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vibrating rearend

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by redman200068, Oct 3, 2003.

1. redman200068

redman200068 Junior Member

i have a 1984 chevy s10 in exelent shape except for a very bad vibration in the rear any help on this matter is greatly appriciated
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Is it at any speed inparticular, or all speeds? To me, it sounds like it might be u-joints going bad. It could also be tires that are not properly balanced (more likely if it is only occurring at certain speeds)
  3. redman200068

redman200068 Junior Member

already had tires checked along with u joints everything checked out ok but still have vibration at all speeds above 35 mph
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

If everything checks out OK (check the pinion bearing and extension housing bushing for play too) then I would change the u-joints first.The may look\feel OK,but they can get dried up on the inside and cause a heck of a vibration.When you get the shaft out,you will probably find them pretty stiff to move.You will need to burn out the fiberglass retainers to replace them (if OEM).