1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

VHF Radio Service

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Dec 12, 2004.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

I am looking at the possiblilty of getting a VHF radio frequency setup. I am at the point in my business that I think I can justify making the investment. Is something like that on a monthly basis or yearly basis? I was just wondering so I have an idea what to look for. Thank You

2. DuallyVette

DuallyVette Member

I didn't know vhf was still used. I use Verizon wireless. with the "IN" plan. Talk to anyone on Verizon free. I just pay $20 per month per phone to share the minutes on my main plan.

3. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

You could also use Nextel phones with the direct connect; that will also allow you to setup groups to talk to as well. Might be a much cheaper option

4. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

it depends on how many trucks you are running.we run uhf two ways , we used them for over 20 years before cell phones. that was then ,lets face it we all have cell phones now.if you are only running a few trucks then use cell phones with the two way feature.even better see if you can get a few plow guys in your area to use the same brand.just a thought.

5. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

cell phones are great but dont always work in some locations or during bad storms so we use both. Iam a little busy while iam plowing so my drivers use motorola ht1000 with hands free vox and shovelers use the smaller i-con radios plus they all have 6 channel and the weather radio freq. .I do carry 2 cells one pluged in the laptop one to recive calls. just my 2 cents worth .. :waving:

6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I still use VHF myself some and cellular is not full proof and radio is a nice backup too and use phone mostly for more personal traffic plus i can be on the phone and still take traffic at same time in background. My current range from base is about 20 to 25 miles and that covers 95% of my needs. If you buy service on a repeater you can have even greater range.