1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Very weird Transmission!!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AllSeasonsAllReasons, Mar 7, 2001.

1. AllSeasonsAllReasons

AllSeasonsAllReasons Junior Member

Hello I use a full size blazer to plow with and lately whenever i turn left the transmission slips bad.. but as soon as it straightens out again its fine??? Any hints? I just had the te tech transmission flush done! Oh yeah its a th 350 trans Thanks guys

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Only a guess here.....

I'm no transmission expert by any means, but I am wondering if perhaps the problem is not in the trans itself but loss of power/traction somewhere else in the driveline? Does it do this in 4x4, 2wd or all the time?

3. AllSeasonsAllReasons

It does it all the time no matter what!!!

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

It might have something to do with the flush, but I would guess a worn trans mount, or cab / body mount bushings. Worn body bushings would allow the body to move, and the shift linkage is connected to the truck body. Any movement, and it could disengage it from gears, since the trans is mounted to the chassis. Does it slip if you put it in L1 or L2? 2wd or 4wd wouldn't make a difference if the body bushings are worn out. Like I said, just a guess. I can assume you checked the level of the trans fluid.....

~Chuck

5. AllSeasonsAllReasons

Thanks for your opinions Chuck! Yes did check trans fluid! Also i had the flush done after the problem started! And yes it does slip in all gears

6. Chuck Smith

from NJ

I'd look real close at the body mounts.... Other than that, I can't help you much! Transmission internals aren't my bag. The fact that it happens turning left is VERY odd.
    You might also want to open the hood, and rev the motor to about 2,000 RPMs several times, and see how much it "lifts" from the torque. You might have a busted motor mount.

~Chuck

7. UNCLE BOB

UNCLE BOB Member

Yes check motor and trany mounts

8. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

I know....don't turn left. No....seriouly I would bet it is a bad cab mount, and when you turn its letting the linkage "play" .. like Chuck said...

9. cut-rite

cut-rite Junior Member

If the mounts and lincage ar ok drop the pan and change the filter. It is possible that the filter is loose and sucking air, if it continues it will burn up.
    Brad

10. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

are you positive its the trany not the rear diff gears because when you turn the two tires turn at diffrent speeds so if your rear end is screwed up maybe the gears are not hooking up

11. sam c

sam c Member

When you turn left all the oil in the trans sloshes to the side away from the suction point. either a baffle was removed during the flush or an o-ring/gasket is missing from the filter suction port.

12. Chuck Smith

from NJ

I would think that with the flush, you also had the trans filter replaced, which would mean more than a missing O ring, since it did this before the flush/filter change. It also does it in 4wd, so a problem with the rear differential is not the cause of this.....
    With the fluid at the proper level, and considering how far into the trans pan the filter sits, even if the filter fell off, on a turn the trans could still pump fluid. Remember, this is the GM TH350 transmission, and holds approximately 21.5 pints (about 11 quarts) of fluid. Completely draining the fluid in the pan only removes about 8 pints (4 quarts). The dipstick says the pan is "full".

This is weird, and I for one would like to finally hear what is causing this problem.

~Chuck

13. AllSeasonsAllReasons

Well Chuck I have decided to have it pulled and i am putting a th 400 behind it its completely rebuilt! But the transmission shop is going to rebuild the trans in it for me for a spare so i will post the outcome as soon as i here from them! Thanks again guys!

14. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

All All

Maybe you should try some liquid magic salt in it. It seems to work wonders at evrything else. LOL

Bruce

15. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

TH400 is strong,but inefficient-you will think you lost 15 hp-you did the tranny ate it,and you'll never see it again,it goes to make extra heat and turn those taller ,heavier gearsets and clutches.Good luck with it-now you need a 502BB to compensate for the tranny LOL