1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Very tempting to take on more

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Nov 6, 2012.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's always tempting to take more jobs. I signed up everything from last year plus 2 more. I don't do driveways but I get those calls and when I see where they are I want to sign them up! But through the years,I've learned to leave a little space for big storms or inconvenient snows.

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

You had a "easy" season last year. If you know you can cover the added jobs if your area gets hit good then definitely take it.

3. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

I know what you mean! I got a few more potential snow accounts this year but I decided to turn them down also. I do 42 acounts 19 commercial and 23 driveways with 3 trucks and a skidloader with pusher and 2 snowblower guys for some drives and I feel maxed out. I am happy where I'm at right now, don't like to be behind with my customers. I just turned down a nice shopping center because I don't have enough trucks, and don't have the desire to expand right now.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

That's funny you posted that today...I'm at my limit with a quote I did this evening that pretty much needs to give me an answer by tomorrow. A couple of new outstanding quotes will be turned down if it comes through.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes I really think we need more work then I come back down to reality. Bigger isn't always better. I like the money but with the added stress doesn't make it worth while.

6. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I too have maxed out today with a local mall & safeway sidewalks with only room for 1 guy I'm waiting on, same here I need an answer by tomorrow as it is suppost to snow here on thursday

LOL I said almost those exact words today to a contractor, great minds think alike:nod:

7. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Have to agree with this... but ... If the snow is bad enough, you can usually pick up extra non contract work

8. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I'm probably a little under capacity for what I have taken on this year. But I am trying to gain a solid foothold with two up and coming property management companies, and I don't want to f anything up. I work in a very expensive part of town, and I believe I have close to premium numbers on all of my accounts especially considering I outright own all of my trucks, skids and equipment. With what I have on my hands right now, if we have an "average" winter here in BOS, not including last years choke, I will have a nice war chest for the spring start... Work smarter, not harder......

9. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

You cant handle more work.

10. grandview

I can plow all my stuff ,drive to your lots and finish them for you all while your trying to figure out how to drop the plow.wesport

11. THEGOLDPRO

Then i would need to tow your broken ford back to your house.

12. grandview

That's because its worked to death while your pretty ugly Dodges are afraid to go out into the snow.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  13. THEGOLDPRO

So your admitting my dodges are pretty??? Did i hear this right?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  14. grandview

Pretty nice as bookends.

15. THEGOLDPRO

You cant retract your statement now lol

16. grandview

Yes I can.

17. THEGOLDPRO

lol i caught you. I knew you were a dodge lover.

18. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

I guess I am the dumb one, I was offered a Home Depot after this last snow fall, and the only thing that went through my head was "how to buy another loader in time".

19. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I took on more work due to one Lawn snow company closed there doors and I got few full service accounts
    I am over of accounts but still waitng on cpl more if I get them I'll add 1 more truck
    right now I run 3 trucks and 1 4wd tractor I am at 12 lots per rig I like keep it at 10 lots per rig
    Have 48 Lots
    All Ford trucks and Ford Tractor

20. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

So did you get the contract? Are you doing it?