1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Very SLOW unimount.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Bossman 92, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Title says it all. The plow worked great last year, and seemed fine to start the year off. I don't drive this truck very often, but last week when I went out to salt it seems like it raises very slow. Left to right seems fine, though it stops very sudden. I did notice if the blade is pushing up agnest a snow plie the blade acts like it doesn't even try to raise untill you back up and release some pressure off the balde.

A couple weeks ago my driver said it sounded like the pump was whining, so we checked the fluid level and topped it off.

I don't know if I need a new pump or motor or what, but hopefully someone else does.

Thanks Andrew

2. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Check the pump screen/filter

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

sound like the fluid is freezing up. The smartest thing to do is change the fluid and flush out the whole system..Also when you put in new fluid, use the blue hydraulic fluid.. Work better in the cold weather..

When you drain the fluid, also remove the (cylinders)pressure lines from the pump and (use a 2x4 underneath the blade) swing the blade (by hand)to the left pushing the fluid out, then swing it to the right pushing the fluid out of the cylinders.Attach the hoses back to their original hookups.When you clean the inside of the housing, remove the screen and use a cleaning solution ( I use break cleaner, other use CRL) to clean the screen. Get a air gun and blow it out good..Do the same thing to the housing (making sure you still have the drain plug out) clean it and blow it out good.. Install the drain plug and tighten. Put a new motor gasket on before you re-install the motor.

Look under the hood and check the grounds, and wires going to the solenoid. Make sure they are clean and making good contact. Same thing with the grill connectors..Check them and clean them out good. Use dielectric grease on both ends before you re-connect them. Do the same with the wires on the motor solenoid (relay).

4. dfrench

dfrench Junior Member

mine was doing the same, would start raising slower and slower. fluid was good. it was the pump .the new out of the box western pump makes more noise than the old one.

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I seen the screen does the same thing as well. Screen clog make the motor and pump work hard

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Yup, time for some good olé fashioned maintenance I would say.