1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Very slow meyer E-47?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by intimidator, Jan 14, 2007.

1. intimidator

intimidator Member

This is my first Meyer plow on an old Blazer, I've always had westerns, so this is kinda new to me. It acts like it's low on fluid, it raises kind of slow, but angles even slower. You can hear the pump running, but nothing happens for maybe 5 seconds. It acts like its low on fluid, but I can't find the fill plug. I assume its on the upper part of the pump somewhere, but don't know for sure. Is there a filter thats easy to get to that might be plugged? I just got this truck running and its starting to snow, its only a back-up plow, but we hired another driver and would really like to get it going. Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The fill is located on the top, right beside the chrome lift rod in the top cap. Should take a 5/8 open end wrench. You right about cleaning the filter's too.Depending on the age of your lift unit it will have 1 or 2 filter's. These are located behind the hex head plugs in the front toward the bottom.Screw the hex plug out and use a pair of needle nose plier's to pull the filter out.One of these plug's may be the drain so be ready for fluid to come out.I'd recommend draining the fluid anyway since you have no idea when it was changed last.Their's also an internal pick up filter but you have to disassemble the cylinder/reservoir assembly to access it.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

id drain that power unit down change 2 filter screens and refill it with brand new fluid

4. intimidator

intimidator Member

Found the fill hole, couldn't even see fluid. The screen I could get to easily was clean. The fluid was kind of gray in color. Will probably drain and re-fill. Thanks for the help.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your going to do the drain and refill be sure and drain and flush the angle hoses and cylinder's too.Since you dont know what type of fluid is in this unit and you dont want to mix different type's of fluid together. Just trying to help.

6. intimidator

intimidator Member

Took the plow on its maiden voyage tonight, and it works tons better with fluid in it. But when you're pushing alot of snow with the plow angled, it tends to straighten out, you've almost got to hold the switch the way you want it to angle. Do you think there's air in yet, or something more major?

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i think there some air in it check it you might need to add some more and you should add some rubbing alchol i did when i owned mine

8. ameyerman

ameyerman Senior Member

Look to see if the "C" Valve O Rings are leaking. If you go to www.angelos-supplies.com it will give you a Trouble Shooting guide.

9. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Also, make sure you are using the proper fluid....Myers fluid is thinner than reg hydraulic fluid.

10. LON

LON Senior Member

Defineately check the "C" valve. Could be a leaking cross-over relief valve as well.