1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Very new!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by klinger, Nov 13, 2011.

1. klinger

klinger Junior Member

I have a 98 dodge ram 1500 5.2 4x4
    Thinking about putting a plow on it to make some extra cash this winter.
    I own a graphics design company. It slows down in the winter so debating on plowing/blowing snow this winter.

Looking for suggestions on what will work on my truck and what things i will have to do to my truck to make it work.

Read about a tranny cooler, spring replacement, timberen kit.

Not planning on doing a lot of commercial lots. Mainly driveways, alleys, and small parking lots.

Any advice will help.

THANKS!!!

2. klinger

klinger Junior Member

My dodge ram

truck.jpg

3. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

No offense, but you're trying to get into this a little late. Probably would be better off waiting until next season.

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

It takes more than a couple weeks to put a plow business together. Even if your just gonna do a couple driveways. You need to have the proper insurance, and no the auto insurance on your truck isn't going to cover anything as soon as you put a plow on and charge someone. You will need commercial liability insurance, with a rider to cover the plow. Then you need to get customers lined up, and of course your plow picked out and mounted. This process usually takes about a month or so to put together properly. This late in the year will bring snow before you have everything in place. After you have these things in place you need to figure out your costs, so you can charge properly, and figure out what your going to do for breakdowns. Even brand new trucks, and plows have breakdowns, so you better have a backup plan just in case. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Mid April is a better time to put this together. Go find a company in need of a driver, but they are obviously going to have to train you first. You may hate plowing.

6. klinger

klinger Junior Member

i realize it is late... But why not start mid season and learn.. then next year i can hit it hard.. I need practice and i thought now would be prefect. I know a lot of people and businesses that would let me practice on their lots. I dont care if i only break even at least i learned something.

7. ladder6

ladder6 Junior Member

RC has great advice. Insurance is key! Buying a plow and having it installed on your truck is easy. Should you accept the challenge and get insurance, spread the word with friends and family that you are looking at plowing some driveways. Contracts are important for liabilty. This is a hole seperate issue with regards to wording. There is plenty of work out there. Be careful!!! Insurance, advertise if necessary, figure out what to charge depending on the driveway and if a shoveler is needed. Key is protecting yourself while at the same time making money both for the act of plowing but also for opening yourself up for litigation if something happens. Go for it and have fun!

8. klinger

klinger Junior Member

I understand the whole business side of it and insurance. What i need to know is what i need to do to my truck to get a plow on it, and what kind of plow the equipment part of the whole deal.

9. ladder6

ladder6 Junior Member

For a 1/2 ton truck, no bigger than an 8' plow. Straight blade to keep startup costs down. The plow frame dictates the plow you will be using or buying. Do some research on which kind of plow you want, then buy a frame and have it installed. Easiest thing to do is find a local dealer and see what they have available for used equipment. This can be a one stop deal for you. Hopefully, they can install frame and electric components for you. Then you can hook up the plow and have some fun.

10. klinger

klinger Junior Member

sounds good thanks!

11. DodgeGuy18

DodgeGuy18 Junior Member

Having plowed with a truck which is nearly identical to yours, I would strongly reccomend a 7'6" plow. I would discourage you from putting anything larger on your truck, and probably wouldn't advise you to go smaller either. I base this recommendation on two principles: 1) A plow which is too short will not clear a path wide enough for your truck to fit. As such, your truck's tires will be in the unplowed portion, significantly reducing your traction. Without traction, it is impossible to continue pushing snow. 2) The longer (wider) the plow, the more snow (volume) it will collect in front of it. Obviously, the larger amount of snow also means more mass, which means more resistance to moving, and, in turn, requires more power to push. A truck equipped with a plow which is too big may not have enough power to push given the right conditions. Although the weight of the plow is also something which needs to be addressed, there are many effective front end modifications out there which can nearly eliminate any issues which may arise due to the added weight of a snow plow. As such, it is best to choose the size of the plow based on the above factors, and then address the weight issue (whether it be by modifying your front end or by comparing the weights of different models and manufacturers of similarly sized plows and choosing the one with the weight that is most appropriate for your truck).

Both of my 1500's (second generation) have the 5.9 L engines with Fisher 7'6" RD Series Minute Mount blades. From personal experience, I would not put an 8' plow on either of my trucks. If my trucks had the 5.2 L engine like yours, I would be even less tempted to do so. On another note, a 7' plow cuts it especially close in regards to clearing the width of ours trucks, especially at full angle. As such, a 7'6" plow is the perfect fit.

As far as the brand and model of the plow, everyone has their own opinion. Dealer support should be an important consideration, however. Although I am partial to Fisher plows, I am not as familiar with their current lineup as I once was. However, they do manufacture a plow, called the HT Series, which is specifically engineered for half-ton trucks, as well as the SD Series. There are many, many threads which discuss the various brands and models of plows and may be beneficial to you. They can easily be found using the search feature.

Good luck in your quest to find an appropriate snow plow and begin your business. Feel free to contact me if you have anymore questions.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011