1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Very new to the businss

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by sparoweyes, Nov 27, 2011.

1. sparoweyes

sparoweyes Junior Member

:mechanic:Hi everyone.
    Am new to the business, have not plow a snow since I got my equipments, I have a 2007 ford F250 truck and an 8ft plow. The reality is that it get a little worrisome went you decide to offer a service you have no formal knowledge off. So I will appreciate any advice from anyone in who have been in the business.

2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome......:salute:

You might want to start out by sub-contracting for a larger Company.....This way you will gain Knowledge of the Business of Snow removal.....Also..Try the Search Button at the top and do alot of reading....Good Luck This Winter....payup

3. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Post #2 X 2

4. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Yeah subbing is the best way to go try for a per hour basis since your new its going to take more time to do the work,but its not rocket science, after a few plows you ll get a sense of how long it will take you to do x amount of square feet good luck

5. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

All in agreement here. I subbed for 4 years before I took on my own accounts. I'm sure someone in your area would be interested in adding a truck their arsenal. Good luck this season.

6. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

you have alot to learn, when i started there was no plow site so feel lucky. just plow slow. dont try to be a speed racer.

7. sparoweyes

sparoweyes Junior Member

8. sparoweyes

sparoweyes Junior Member

thanks ussmileyflag

9. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

this is my 4th year subbing, good way to start, im also paid within 24 hours in cash (no bouncing checks) of being complete (and the truck wont move for less then $65 an hr, SRW ford with an 8'), so im not in a big rush to go out and get my own accouts anyways, no insurance, no paper work, no billing etc.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  10. sparoweyes

sparoweyes Junior Member

Thanks gentlemen for your advices

11. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Thats really good advice.

The small company I bought my used plow from gave me some pointers. I'm not competition for them, different area.
    Gave me some ideas on pricing and I used his lower numbers with being new this year.
    Landed some good jobs and jumped in with both feet.
    Baptism by fire. I survived and you can too as long as you use a lot of common sense and take it easy until you get the hang of things.
    I'm not saying I'd never sub for a company but I sure like collecting the money these other guys are willing to leave on the table.

12. peterng

peterng Senior Member

backup is a good thing when you're on your own, until then get hooked up with some other people.
    Good luck,
    Pete

13. sparoweyes

sparoweyes Junior Member

Sparrow eyes

thanks for the advice