1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Very Large Complex Equipment Questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Broncslefty7, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

Sitting down with owners next week to sign contract. have some equipment questions. each unit has its own driveway/walkway/frontsteps. all the main roads have sidewalks.

ive driven through a few times now and im thinking 2 trucks with plows and most likley 5 bobcats with kage snowfires. 10 guys on snowblowers trimming driveways/walkways etc. and probly 1 tool cat with either a blower or a broom for the sidewalks.

What do you guys think, ive done some large condo complexes but not one this big.

any input is appreciated.

THank you

hunters run.jpg

2. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

This is a kage owners dream, and id be kinda worried about stacking snow doesnt look like there's a lot of places to put it.

3. Broncslefty7

yeah i have two kages i almost jumped outta my chair cause its perfect its just HUGE. stacking shouldnt be a problem worst comes to worst ill stack it in the front yards. my other issue is that its 20 mins from my shop in summer driving. i can park all of my equipment on site and put a small salt bin up but the htought of being probly 45 mins from HQ in a storm is a little terrifying

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  4. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

1 truck, with a BOSS plow, 34 minutes, $230 per push.

5. Buswell Forest

from NH

But seriously folks....that is a mickey mouse lot. The usual suspects would have 2 trucks with eblings, 2 28" blowers, and knock that out in an hour.

LMFAO.

Broncs, I hope you get that contract. I have no earthly idea how to even start bidding or equipping that.

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Are you stacking at the end of drives or do you have to carry it to one spot?

I think your list is pretty close to what I would figure. If you have to carry are you dedicating one skid to that or using the trucks? Curious what others figure the best way to tackle this would be.

7. Buswell Forest

from NH

I see you said you did get it now that I read it again. Congrats, that should be a money maker.

8. Broncslefty7

yeah its def a money maker i cappped the season at 60" and then its $6,700 per inch after that. Jrs. what we do is back blade driveways into the road with the kages and then either bobcats or truck come through and plow it off to side like its regular road plowing. usually the bobcat does it from driveway to driveway. it works pretty effectively.

9. Broncslefty7

the problem i run into here is my shop is 25 mins away on a sunny day. so i need to park everything there except my truck. and theres really only one place to store salt and its not that big. its just a large complex lol. theres no real rhythm or pattern to it.

10. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Seems like things you'd consider before submitting the bid/ being awarded the contract. But that's just me.

11. Broncslefty7

i did consider Longae, the reward outweighs the possible issues. isnt that the point of a forum, to see other peoples ideas?

12. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

I'd say a 7 yd salt truck would alleviate some of that issue, dispatch it after the storm/ice events and leave enough staged to put out during the storm to deal with hard pack.

What about pre treatment?

Will you be staging fuel or using skid tanks?

13. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Roads yeah, but salt condo driveways and very small odd shaped parking areas with a 7 yard dump truck?

You'll be look at replacing 2'-3'' of turf along a couple hundred driveways in the spring.

14. Buswell Forest

from NH

Oooh, excellent question, one always overlooked on jobs like this I bet.
    I did.

15. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

That's what I was referring to, those roads alone must go through quite a few tons per app. Then use a one ton for drives. Unless there is a more efficient way for drives?

Never bid on something like this, learning in case something like this comes my way.

16. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

maybe walk behind salters would be quicker instead of backing up and throwing salt everywhere and replacing grass in the summer.

17. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

A pick up with a 100 gallon fuel cell should be more than capable of handling 5 skid steers. Good luck with the new account!

18. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

My thoughts also......Bid it then think about what its gonna take....:confused:

Way to time consuming......

Not if you stay away from the Grass eating salt......They have a "New" strain of salt out that is less Hungry.....:nod:

19. Broncslefty7

^^ i already know what im going to use im not sure why people are stuck on it, im just looking for other peoples opinions. someone may have a better way that i dont know that could make my operation more efficient. i will be running 1 f350 pickup with a sander and a f550 with a 3yd sander. i have a caged 250 gallon diesel tank i will have in our box truck on site along with bagged salt. we will be running 5 bobcat with 9 ft. kages. i have 2 and honestly im not sure what brand they are (my grandfather painted them years ago), (2) bobcat 1/2 yard scoop sanders for driveways. we will be using walk behind drop spreaders for the walks they range mostly 36" but some drop down to 28. That is what im going to do. guess i should have started the post like that.

i have an FL70 with a plow but no sander, im not going to spend the money on a sander for it yet. we are actually trying to sell it. it is a 2001 with 32k miles comes with a plow and a 18ton tag along. but thats a post for another forum.

**Disclaimer** if anyone has any better ideas i would love to hear them.

Thankyou

20. Buswell Forest

from NH

That truck a Dump?

I might suggest an enclosed cab 4x4 ag tractor with a 6' front mount blower..or 2 or 3 of them. I know they are slower than a skid, but they do have some distinct advantages. Pin point snow disposal in places a skid might not be able to get to, a sort of final solution for it really. No carrying and stacking for the most part, no having to wing/push the snow back...and with a 3 point hitch, they can run hopper spreaders too..

Just tossing out an idea. I understand they are not cheap.