1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Very happy with Magic

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lilweeds, Feb 26, 2010.

1. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

For the first time (in a real storm) I used some Magic salt. I have to say I was extremely impressed. Lots that have 2 or so inches only needed salt and it didn't refreeze. It also kept the snow from sticking as advertised. If anyone hasn't tried it give it a go!

2. lbfmd

lbfmd Member

where about did you get it at?

3. alwaysgotit

alwaysgotit Inactive

4. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

I use it as well good stuff and long lasting! The down side is it clumps like crazy in the sander if left for even a short time......

5. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I tried it this year too and was really impressed. I will finally switch over from salt/sand next year. I still have to set pricing. Magic is almost 3x salt/sand but you only need half as much per lot. For anybody spreading both materials, how do you charge magic compared to salt/sand?

6. lilweeds

Joe, just curious your not a Magic dealer, are you buying the liquid from someone else? I should say you are not listed as a dealer.

7. lilweeds

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Have you ever used any other "enhanced" de-icing products ?

The 2" of powder you burned off, can be done with straight white salt as well :nod:
    The beauty of magic is it works extremely well at cold temps, and does leave a good residual. But so do many other de-icing products :drinkup:

9. lilweeds

In SE PA we don't have a big choice when it comes to treated bulk products. I have not used any other types. I can say this stuff worked much better then straight salt.

I'd love to try some others as well. I used a bagged product called clear path, which I felt was too fine and somewhat in effective. Straight rock salt works fine, and is still cheap around here, but I figured I've heard all the hype and wanted to try it. THe best part was the residual held up. Even the snow showers we has this morning my lots stayed wet for the most part.

10. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

yes it works, but sometimes too well. we just started using some this year and some walks have not needed to be re-applied for the last 2 weeks !! the residual is keeping our last few dustings up to 1/2" from building up. I love it on my stuff but i don't know if i will use it for any more than entry walks next year.

it will burn away 1/4" of ice in NO TIME FLAT. less than 30 mins later it was just standing water.

11. Lawn Rover

Lawn Rover Inactive

Anyone know where I can get some in CT for next year?

12. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I know of a very good dealer in Middletown,CT if that is close to you.

13. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

14. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

All CT can buy through INTL salt or set up direct with Gateway Terminal. They both carry treated salt. About 30% less than buying through magic distributors

15. Lawn Rover

Lawn Rover Inactive

Thanks guys, Allied is local so that actually works out really well. I am definitely interested in Gateway though, I will call them tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  16. All I will say is that yes they are both treated salts and both are brown in color and smell slightly similar but that is where it ends.

17. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Does anyone know why Magic is so expensive?

18. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm assuming you mean why it's so expensive when you go pick it up already sprayed into the salt.We're talking the purchase of the salt,a building to spray,mix, and store the salt,a loader to handle the salt,the franchise fees to market Magic,the actual cost of the Magic juice,a tank,tanker truck,or both to store the juice,spray equipment for same,labor to spray,and of course profit.If you have a place to store your salt,you can save considerable money having your salt pile sprayed.

19. lilweeds

Are you saying unless you buy from someone on the Magic dealer list, the other "treated' salt is not Magic? That would be easy to understand. How much cheaper is it to get a pile sprayed rather then buying the salt already treated?

20. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

By me,the difference is about $40 a yard,soft costs.You also get a substantial price break per gallon the larger your salt pile is.