1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Very Frustrated

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by ramair2k, Jan 24, 2005.

1. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

I have called a few places now, and they said that they WONT install a Fisher LD on my 2002 F-150 FX4 supercrew. They said that it is too heavy for it. How in the world do they figure that it is too heavy for it, and also that fisher WILL NOT recommend a plow unless the truck has a plow prep package. :rolleyes: I see SUVs around here with fisher LD plows. It just dosent make sense and its very frustrating. So what now, everyone who wants to plow needs to run out and get a 2500/3500 series truck?? Screw that :realmad:

The only thing that they are willing to install on my truck is the fisher homesteader.....which i will not WASTE almost 4k on one of those.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  2. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

:drinkup: it's cause they want MORE & MORE money! Report it to Chevy headquarters and they'll call up Fisher and tell them to get their finger's out of their behind's and start selling some plows.

DEMAND it at the plow office, say "do you know who you are talking to? My name is Jay Mack"

3. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Go to another dealer!! Some are more fearful of being sued than others.
    You have to look at the front GVW of your truck.(usually on door sticker) than weigh the front (I use local gravel pits scale, some landfills also have scales). Add in the plow weight and if it exceeds the front GVW than it is too heavy. Also check your tire rating those p rated, tires some 1/2tons come with, won't work.
    You can always buy the plow and install it yourself so no one else would have liability.

4. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

I just used the plow selector off Fisher's website and you are stuck with a 'Homesteader' Ha, Ha....I mean sorry. You are either maxing out on your front axle weight rating or GVWR. I couldn't even get a short bed regular cab to be equipped with anything but a Homesteader on the plow selector.

5. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Don't take this the wrong way, but join the club.
    I have a 2003 Ram 1500 and couldn't find a manufacturer that had one for it. I didn't go as far as going to a dealer, just checked all the websites.
    If you do not plan on doing a lot of plowing you may want to consider a pull plow. Mounts to a receiver hitch.
    I get a lot of funny looks, but it works great for me and costs almost have the price of a homesteader.

Be happy to answer any questions if you're interested.

Kevin

6. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

It's your truck, and you can do whatever the hell you want to it! And if you want to put a certain blade on it, then you can! And if they won't do it, tell 'em you're going to go get another name brand plow that will.

7. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Ya i hear you. I am going to keep trying. I refuse to settle for a homesteader. I mean, i saw 2-3 jeep cherokees (wicked old) with fisher LD plows on them. And you can tell me that their front end is stronger than mine?? Dont think so. My front end is 3600. I think the LD fisher is like 500lbs. So if I got 3 fat people that weigh 500lbs combined to sit on the hood of my truck, is my front end going to cruble?? Is the suspension going to get messed up?? bah....maybe I should have just bought a F-250 :gunsfiring:

8. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

If fat people in your neck of the woods are about 166 lbs you have other problems. You will find a lot of the plow dealers will only install the recomended plows on the trucks and more and more 1/2 tons are being designed for personal use. On the other hand, there are a lot of people running 'overweight' plow setups. You need to take into consideration a plow which is too heavy will also change the handling of your truck by making the rear end lighter. If you are just going to plow your driveway and the plow will come off after that, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The weight difference between the two plows is about 250 lbs, about 550 for the LD with mount and I figured about 300 for the Homesteader ( Website said as low as 250 ).

9. mobo

mobo Member
    from Ohio

Just wanted to say I have a 2001 F150 super crew and the fisher dealer said they would only put a homesteader on my truck and would not install a LD plow. I was driving around today and saw a 150 super crew with a Meyer's plow on it. I called Meyers and they also told me no plow for my truck. I found that a western dealer told me the lsx would fit. not sure just wondering if you found anything for your truck?

10. bobshm

bobshm Junior Member

bobshm

If the plow is for personal use only, then what is wrong with using the plow that is spec'd for your vehicle ? 2500/3500 series trucks have heavier components to cope with the stress of plowing, and carry the weight and electrical demands placed on them. Putting a heavier plow on a light truck will cause components to fail, or not perform adequately. If you think that you are unhappy now, how will you feel when your transmission fails, or an axle breaks ? :)

11. mobo

mobo Member
    from Ohio

I checked westerns quick match and it listed the lsx plow and the suburbanite. I was going to go with the snow bear but from what I was reading the snow bear was not as good as a western or fisher. I did not want to go with a heavy plow I was only looking to do my drive and my mothers. I was told the suburbanite would break if I was in heavy snow and ice. The western dealer said he has one lsx in stock and he would sell that to me for the same price as the suburbanite. I am not sure if I want to do that. Please give me some info on the lsx to heavy or not? Thanks again

12. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

13. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I think you will find the Blizzard 760LT to be a good fit for that 1/2 ton. 550 lbs. I see no reason I would not install it on any 1/2 ton.

14. bolensdriver

15. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

16. bolensdriver

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  17. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

18. bolensdriver

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  19. geereed

geereed Senior Member

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS GETTING OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

20. mobo

mobo Member
    from Ohio

geereed, I just wanted to say I called the place you told me about and tried to get the fisher homesteader like you have and they said they was out for the season. Thanks again for your help.