1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Very fine salt performance

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Easy Outs, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Easy Outs

Easy Outs Member

I'm looking for alternative salt options in case there is a shortage later in the year as I don't have space to stockpile my entire needs in advance.

I've read several places that suggest very fine salt melts ice faster than traditional rock salt. I was wondering if running it through a spreader would need any special considerations.

Does it just run through the hopper more easily, including when not intended?

Do you have to adjust anything specifically to keep from laying way too much salt down because it is so fine?

Sorry if this question has been beat into the ground. My search function doesn't work on my iPhone.

2. panduro

panduro Junior Member

Tried using it (vacum)with spreader once because i was out of normal rock salt and that was what my salt pusher had left... used Way to much salt, Coudnt slow my spreader Down enoughf to have right amount of product while still getting reletivly uniform coverage and the spreding width is normally run with.
    So ended up going to fast when aplying it, salt everywhere...

To my logic iit should work faster, more surfac area, less Impurities.

Best regards tipsy

3. Easy Outs

Easy Outs Member

What kind of spreader were you running? I'm wondering if something with a conveyor belt, like a tornado, might work if you turned the belt way down and the spreader all the way up.

4. panduro

panduro Junior Member

I was using an epoke combi one, seperate adjustment on belt and plate from cab. Only issue ive ever had with it other than with vacum salt is if i run a really narrow spreadingh width(4-5 feet) i Can never get it to really center, it offcentered to the right and therefore never get close to u uniform spreading, if i go from like 8 and wider it does a pretty Nice job... Coudnt make it work with vacum salt no matter what i tried. But as stated only tryes once...
    Best regards tipsy

5. kagenewengland

kagenewengland Senior Member

I have acess to fines, but did not think there was a market. Would anybody stock fines if there was a considerable price break?