1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

very dim headlights after truckside wiring install

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fatboyNJ, Oct 21, 2009.

1. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

heres my problem....
    installed truckside wiring for my unimount, tested it all hooked up to plow everything worked as it should...lights and all.....

2 days later go out at nite and my truck headlights barely lighting up enough to see, actually had to get out of truck to make sure they werent blown out

today changed the headlight harness relays out from ones that worked fine last year from my old mans truck...no brand new but were fine last march when used last....NOTHING still same problem....thaught maybe it was a headlight socket from when i had to cut them for my old HIDs...replaced them and same problem....we are stumped

any1 got any ideas what it could be?

lights almost seem like the trucks battery is about to die they are so dim..but battery seems fine when starting truck and when i had the plow on testing it..no drop in voltage

any help or ideas would be awesome
    thanks guys

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Wrong cross harness. Is this on your 01 F150?

3. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

yea for my f-150...the cross harness is the one that ties the headlights together?

whats weird is it worked fine headlights were bright as they whouls have been and all the nite i did the install the next day is when the problems started..

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Check your grounds, make sure they are to the battery, you can also check the # on the cross harness to make sure you have the right one, should have a white tag with a 61591 # on it.

5. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

thanks for the info i will go over that tomorrow
    i really hope this is something stupid

6. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

so i checked the grounds and they are all good...and that is the same part number for the cross harness...i am at a dead end now

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

you checked your adapters? really sounds like a ground. How do the plowlights work?

8. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Could be a bad 9 pin connector?

9. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Check the pins and check for corrosion.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's the truck lights.

11. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

you checked the adapters...plugged and unplugged double checked...grounds are right to the battery...and plowlights work, not p[ostive how bright cuz hasnt been on in the dark yet....what about the ground wires in the relay? think that could be a problem?

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have you looked for a headlight fuse on the truck. Dodge uses them and that's what happens they get real dim.

13. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

hmm..ill check that in the morning...never thauight of it...