1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

very cold temperatures

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jguck25, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

how do you guys deal with storms that come when it is very cold before, during and after the storm? mostly with lots you have to salt. we had one earlier this season and one coming later this week. it is pretty uncommon because usually when it is that cold it doesnt snow.

it is going to be only have highs in the single digits to around 10 degrees all day thursday through friday morning and we are supposed to get a lingering storm of close to a foot of snow, while the temps are that cold during the DAY and then temps well below zero degrees at night, so there is going to be a lot of hardpack bc of the duration of the storm and ice doesnt work when its that cold out.. last time putting down salt of lots that require it didnt help at all.. it was way too cold and i was getting complaints that the lots werent down to tar immediately following the storm. i want to be more prepared this storm..

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

highway crews around here spray the salt as it comes off the spreader with mag chloride...if they are willing to pay extra you could mix in 25% calcium chloride, or whatever they are willing to pay for

3. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Pre treat with CMA

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Use Clearlane instead of salt.

5. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

You are going to have to run either a magnesium chloride/salt blend or run calcium chloride pellets .... but yes the price of both are WAY expensive and do not apply unless you have written consent from the company or else you may foot the bill for the product and application... calcium works great and keeps my lots "wet" looking even when it is 0 outside. Peladow works really good if you can get your hands on some.

6. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

This week I spread a salt mix with dowflake CaCl. Worked great, but wasn't cheap. I'll just do salt with this storm, even though it won't work, unless they say otherwise. Kinda the perfect time for my spreader motor to go bad