1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Very basic questions..

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Zach, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Zach

Zach Senior Member

SO I sold my ATV that had the snow plow on it.. now that winters coming I really want another rugged plow rig! I do however have an 04 F150 crew cab 4x4 with the big v8. Damn I love that truck and was thinking about getting a plow for it.

What sort of plow should I be looking for? I would want a smaller one for lightish ohio winters, maybe one that goes in a reciever hitch?

Don't make fun of me for this but.. how difficult is it to plow with a truck. I can manuver it well and am confortable with it but what are some basic things to expect?

thanks

2. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

Its not hard to plow with a truck i would look into a western mid weight or a hts 7'5" for that truck! i would stay away from the receiver hitch sense you have a big enough truck for a plow

Are you plowing commercial or just your drive or what?

3. Zach

Zach Senior Member

I would do commercial but just door-to-door stuff in my neighborhood/surrounding neighborhoods, and my own driveway

4. Zach

Zach Senior Member

Here is a picture of my truck

[​IMG]

5. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

if your going to do drives i would get the mid weight or HTS for sure or something like it in another brand

6. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Not going to have much luck with a dealer installing a plow on a crew cab 1/2 ton however. Just something to take into consideration. You can get a plow on it, it just might not be what you want.

7. Zach

Zach Senior Member

what do you mean by that

8. SuperdutyShane

Well, the dealers will void warranties on the plow or vehicle if they install something that the maker of the plow does not reccomend.

9. Zach

Zach Senior Member

oh gotcha.. I think at 158,000 miles I'm a little out of warranty (yes that picture was taken at that milage)

10. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

So all you have to worry about is the new plow warranty. If you get a used one, you won't have that to worry about. Good Luck Zack.

11. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

12. SuperdutyShane

Sounds good then. Good luck. The Half Ton plow seems like a pretty good choice. But just remember your front axle rating and everything if you dont go for a light plow. I think another reason you would have a problem with a dealer installing it is because since you have a crew cab I believe when you do a match for a plow Fisher assumes you have someone sitting in every seat.. Cause when I used Fishers eMatch on my 94 350 just to see what it would come up with, the occupant weight was like 300 pounds or something. Maybe higher. So they assume your seats are full when you use eMatch.

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Not much different plowing with an ATV or a truck except the truck is ALOT warmer....lol
    Dealer support and service is more important then barnd.
    Your 150 will handle a plow just fine. Use plenty of ballast.

14. Zach

Zach Senior Member

Sounds good. Besides, I dont really do the whole dealership thing :D

15. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Look at the Boss light duty plows. They have poly plows that arent too heavy for the front of your truck, yet they are still gonna push all the snow you will ever need to with that truck, especially being in Ohio.

16. Mackman

from S.E. PA

17. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Well I stand corrected then. Sorry for the false information.

18. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Dont worry a buddy of mine told me that steel was lighter. I told him BS. Made a 20 dollar bet on it just to come home and see he was right:realmad: Cost me 20 bucks. :laughing:

19. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

if your only doing a few snowdogg or there is a modweight for all brands.

20. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Gotta deal with someone for parts at some time.