1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Very Bad week!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by martyman, Mar 4, 2003.

1. martyman

martyman Senior Member

Last Sunday we had a snow storm here in Toronto Canada and I had finished plowing 5 hours before and was backing out of a friends residential property and got hung up on a mound of ice. I bought a 2003 Jeep rubicon and so far it has worked perfect and I felt that I wasn't stuck too bad so i got it rocking back and forth and turned the wheel and snap went my front driver side axle. So had it towed to my local Chrysler dealer and they won't warranty it because I have a plowmount on the jeep. they suggested that I go through insurance. My deductable is $1000 and the damage was $700 so I had it towed to my local friends shop to be done instead of paying a fortune to the Chyrsler dealer. Well to top it off I am getting 8 to 10 inches of snow tonight and I won't recieve the part from Chrysler until tomorrow morning because the part is sitting in a warehouse In the city . I am lucky that my brother-in-law is a very nice guy and offered to help me with his huge f250 extra cab diesel when he finishes his commercial properties. I should be bald after pulling at my hair this week!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sorry to hear of the trouble on the new jeep.Really suprised it busted the axle shaft.

It helps to know how to pull off the plow mount quickly as the dealer hates to see them,and are very quick to void your warrantee.Just hope they didn't put it in their computer system and void it completly.

If your ever broke,stuck,or in a pinch,let me know,I may be able to lend a hand if neccesary.All my info is the networking section.Just let me know.I may also have a free truck to lend a hand if you ever need it.

That last big storm was really something eh ? We got almost 12 inches,but seemed like way more due to the 2-5 ft drifts we were seeing on some lots.

Back to the Jeep,if you give me more info on it,I may be able to get you the part at cost,and have it a little quicker.Just need the details on the truck,and what part it is you need.

3. martyman

martyman Senior Member

thats very nice thankyou

Thankyou Mr.Barret for the very kind offer.

Ya last week was a ball of fun!! I was actually having a good time with my new jeep. Its nice having a radio and heat. My old jeep was a 4 cylinder with no radio and the heat oozed out slowly and my feet would be frozen by the end of the night.

The parts are all paid for and sitting in Missisauga (spelled right?). I have a good buddy in the parts department at my local dealer and got a good deal but there is no way to rush the part until tomorrow morning (UNION). Luckily I think I will be ok with my brother-in-law this year because he only took 3 plaza's because he wants to get out of the business next year. I really appreciate your offer and I hope that I might be able to help you someday (really) Spring is usually slow for me so if you need help with clean-ups or helping to fix something give me a call 416 688 9828 cell phone just don't pretend your an angry customer like my friend does to me sometimes for fun....

Marty

Blue grass lawn cutting (6th season and staying small) :)

Here is a link to a jeep site where guys with the same jeep have broken the axle on the same side with automatic Rubicons.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=354575

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Interesting read...sounds like a common problem.

Hope it all works out for you.I'll keep your number handy...just in case.If you ever need me....everything is in the networking section.Good luck.

5. Bonzai

Bonzai Member

Hope this is just a problem on the Rubicons as we have a new Sahara with a 6.5 western and it has been awesome so far.It got rear ended in January and we have still not had a chance to fix it. It runs but there is a few pieces held up by wire on the back.:eek:

6. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Snapped an axle and they want to charge you $1000????

First off they should not deny you coverage as they specifically offer air shocks to be used on the wrangler to support a plow. Jeep lists them in their parts catalog as snow plow shocks.

Second, Inner or outer axle? Outers are 38 dollars and inners I think are around $150 (All in real US money;) ) U-joint should cost you $25.

I can do that complete repair (unless the shaft is stuck in the diff) in under 45 minutes trail side. Their are minimal tools required (only special one is a 36mm socket). I can direct you to sites on the web that have that complete repair with pictures.

First I would fight it. Second if that did not work, I would either fix yourself or take it to a 4wd shop.

DON'T pay 1000 (whats that in US 600?)

Howard

7. Ben

Ben Member

Marty I broke the right front axle in my ram 1500 with the dana 44 dealer fixed it. Said there were some defects in the axle shaft. So go back to the dealer and fight it.

8. BigZ1001

BigZ1001 Junior Member

The Rubicon...

The Rubicon does not have standard axels of differintials, or transfer cases for that matter. It has a "beefed up" 44, Air Lockers in the front and rear, and a 4 to 1 low range transfer case. These are the reasons the axle popped. Need to be careful with that air locker in the front.

9. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

QUOTE]The Rubicon does not have standard axels of differintials, or transfer cases for that matter. It has a "beefed up" 44, Air Lockers in the front and rear, and a 4 to 1 low range transfer case. These are the reasons the axle popped. Need to be careful with that air locker in the front.[/QUOTE]

I can understand the inner shafts being "a little bit" more expensive, but I believe the outer stubs are the same as the dana 44.

The U-joint should go before ANY shaft should, especially stock. I can only guess that the shaft was defective.

I run 4.3 in my transfer case, 4.56 gears 36 inch tires and an ARB..... in a hi pinion 9".... that is no comparison, but still the stock 760x spicer u-joint and have not broken one "yet"

The axles, shafts and diffs might be different than a standard wrangler, but all are pretty normal things.

It is not suprising that he snapped the driver side as it is the shorter side and can absorb much less shock load. I can't guess any farther as Marty needs to clarify if the joint broke which then sheared the ears of the shaft. None the less, I don't think the repair should cost $700 and it should be covered under warranty in the first place as it happened under "normal operating conditions" For a Jeep;)

Howard

10. cos

cos Junior Member

Sorry to hear all this. I always carry spare plow parts but never a spare axle. lol Just trying to keep your spirits up. :) If you made enough phone calls... you may be able to get some friends to help you out until you are back on your feet. Find people who are in the same areas at the same times....? Hope everything works out!!!

11. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I have to agree with Howard that all d-44 outers are pretty universal.... there was a rant thread on Pirate4x4 a few days ago about a guy breaking an outer when a u-joint cap let loose on the freeway and the dealer voided the warranty..... when it comes to dodge warranting things lately you see more "Daimler" then Chrystler:rolleyes:

~Nate~