1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vertical Ram Leak, Is a small Amount OK???

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by zippy1, Feb 19, 2007.

1. zippy1

zippy1 Junior Member

I noticed that my lifting ram has a small amount of fluid around the seal and on the chrome piston itself. My two lower rams for right and left movement are dry with no evidence of fluid. Is this something I should have replaced under warranty or is it normal for these rams to weap a little fluid due to stress,heat,cold or a little abuse? My plow setup is a MM2 8' HD. This plow has taken a good beating this winter so far and this is the only problem I have had, other than breaking the jack leg that you use to hold the frame up when the plow is off the truck. I managed to forget it was down and drove off, I tore it in two and had to get a new one:realmad: I don't think I will make that mistake again.

2. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

If you can get it fixed free--go for it!!!!! if not-- new cup seal at the end of the season if there are no scratches on the lift cylinder should do the trick! Free is a good price:redbounce

3. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

if its still under warenty yes good luck

4. ashsupply

ashsupply Junior Member
    from nh

seal kit

if it is within the 2 year warranty period, your dealer should be able to cover it under warranty. If it isn't the seal kit is about 8 dollars and is fairly easy to change. You don't want to go to long like that as you will eventually run out of fluid.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I just had mine done yesterday under warranty. All parts and labor were covered by warranty, including the fluid to refill, polishing end of ram and bleeding the system.

Do it now; don't wait. At some point, it will lose enough fluid to "flop" from side to side and not raise due to lack of fluid. Don't try to do it yourself until it's out of warranty.

6. Nepatsfn

Nepatsfn Junior Member
    from NH

I guess i should of read this first, I have same problem

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That was the 20th. The next day, I saw it had leaked some more, so called the dealer and got it in again last night. This time they agreed with me that it was the hose-to-elbow connection that was leaking, so got the hose and o-ring in the elbow replaced.

Thanks to Fisher and OConnors in Augusta for taking care of it.