1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vertical Hinge pin bolt

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DStrabb, Jan 27, 2012.

1. DStrabb

DStrabb Member
    from MI

I was putting the plow back on this afternoon and noticed the bolt that holds the vertical hinge pin in place is gone. Does anyone know what size bolt I need to get to replace it. It doesnt't even look like there is even threads for the bolt to go into on the acyual plow. Thanks

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sure B&B does and will respond shortly.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually it was 3/8x16 - 1 1/4" long.

If the threaded insert is missing out of the center section too- either drill it larger and weld a "rounded" nut in there. Or tap it larger, drill the tab on the hinge pin larger and run a larger bolt. Either way works as long as the following is adhered to....

The bolts usually go missing for one of two reasons. Lack of thread locker during assembly, or lack of lubrication of the hinge thus the pin twists and sheers the bolt off .

5. grandview

Then I guess the Boss part sheet is wrong!

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No you just read it wrong.

7. grandview

We talking about the same bolt?

Part# HDW01728

8. GA73

GA73 Member

tack weld it with a good glob of weld lol

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Even though the combination of coffee and aging will affect your vision Scotty isn't reading it wrong, the manuals are wrong. They call for a 1/2" bolt for the hinge pin but only the 10 footers actually use one. Everything else is and always has been 3/8.

10. DStrabb

DStrabb Member
    from MI

Thanks for the help guys. Got her all buttoned up.

11. grandview

Well I better keep my eye site up.Can't be looking at women and I think they're a 10 ,but really only a 4!

12. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

The pic in your avatar is closer to a 10 than a 4Thumbs Up

You eye sight is ok!

13. bossplow

bossplow Junior Member

You are both correct! They were 3/8" on the older plows, and 1/2" on the newer smart hitch 2 plows

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Only on the newest models and that's where the confusion comes from when guys (such as GV in this case) look for the correct bolt, because they (Boss) grouped everything SH2 together with the current models and that isn't correct. Normally they'd add a serial # break but didn't in this instance so you just have to know what you're working with.