1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

VERTEX Super LED light head

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 2FAST4U, Sep 8, 2008.

1. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Senior Member

hey has any one installed these yet they seem pretty cool and an easy install but my ? is they only come with 9 feet of 4-22 gage wire. can I just add more 4pair 22 gage wire or do I need to have strobe wire from Whelen.
    If I buy these it will be my first strobe install so I'll be back with more ? and when I'm done hopefully a video.
    Thanks

2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I was looking at the same ones and had the same questions. I dont see why you couldnt just add wire the only difference is it wouldnt have that protective cover around it.

3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

are you on that game Trukz with that same username?

4. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Senior Member

no thats not me on that game

5. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Senior Member

I was almost thinking about an extention cord with the ends cut off it would have the protective cover and the three wires you need because I think one of the wires are just used to change the flash pattern. What do ya think

6. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

seems larger than needed......just go order some 4 conductor and it will match up nicely....but you may have to order a lot....or a electrical supply store may sell you 100' or so..

7. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Does anybody have these yet???

8. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

You can get the same gauge wire at just about any automotive store probably the same colors too. You can also get wrap to protect the wires pretty cheap.

9. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

i got mine in today i will be getting them installed soon. get some 18 gauge wire, and some loom and there u go, u only really only need power the 2 others are sync and scan lock

10. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

you can get shielded multi color wire from Home Depot on the big revolving wire dispenser. They will sell any length you want.

11. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

We can not use blue roof lights here any more since the popos changed to blue and red from white a red. Im thinking about putting some blue in the head/tail lights. Id love to see what some people have installed. Vids vids vids!

12. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

you dont need shielded cable . also better to use SAE listed cable no home depot

13. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i read somewheres before saying that without that shield your lights could possibly pickup other signals and mess with them, with that said i spliced the strobe cable for the passenger side headlight in my f-350 when i had them and i had no trouble at all without the shield so i dont know if theres any truth to it.

14. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

yes strobes you need shielded but the Vertex are LED and the Supplied wire from whelen is not shielded

15. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Senior Member

well i order them they are going to be here thursday cant wait

16. Mike - Tac 2

Mike - Tac 2 Member

Where did you order them from? I have had 20 on order for weeks and was told that Whelen is backed up waiting on parts....

17. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

that is true

18. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Strobes n more is now shipping

19. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

are they really 2 heads for $74???????

20. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Just one head for $74- even though all the pictures show two... :-(