1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vertex? Long post...Starting my setup from scratch, Advice for the new guy?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 203, Dec 10, 2009.

1. 203

203 Junior Member

Ok, Hope everyone here is doing well, As you can see I'm new so please bare with me.

I do lockouts with my own vehicle,2002 Ford Explorer,(Think I might be one of the few that love this time of year more than the rest of you), but I digress...My 2$ plug in light/hazards don't seem to make a difference to anyone...anywhere I am parked working.

Not to mention if anyone here knows 1-91 0r 95 in CT, flats seem to be the norm for me, I love changing the tire when everyone is doing a 100 about 5 feet away.:realmad:

This is my regular everyday truck so I understandably don't want any visible lights anywhere and have gotten to the point of removing/re-installing some type of cheap thing is not an option.

I want something that will do the following, Hide-A-Ways (thinking Whelen, likely Vertex with my research thus far),within the reverse, and brake housing for a total of 4 in the rear, I also would like (since I'm at it), to put 1 in each of the front corner markers if it's not to complicate this too much, although I would like to have the option of having just my rear on , or just the whole deal...essentially independent of each other where it wouldn't be required to have the front on at the same time.

Now this is a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Baurer so, I can't find anything regarding this setup, considering the closest would be something along the lines of a Police setup, and for what it's worth last Trooper I asked said "not legal but situation warrants the use he wouldn't break mine".

That's where I'm at and considering the "not legal setup", roll the dice with that one, at least these morons can see me....but I wouldn't be able to have a shop install anything for me even if I wanted to, so now I'm hoping I can get some advice and all around instruction with this one.

Thank you,

2. oh8chevy2500

oh8chevy2500 Senior Member

just wondering why u wouldnt be able to have a shop install hideaways ? or are you looking to do it on your own?
  3. Sno What

Sno What Member
    from CT

Its not illegal to have strobes, hide-a-ways, or even a full size lightbar on your vehicle in CT. You can use whatever lights you want on private property. If you really want to cover your tail, go get a DMV amber flashing light permit. Its $20/year, and you need the local police chief to sign off on it.
  4. Sno What

Sno What Member
    from CT

5. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I have never heard of that, interesting.
  6. DHDB

DHDB Member

Most everyone here uses some sort of lighting during snow removal (red, amber, white, etc..). Given the circumstances (snow) most PD's don't hassle people over the choice of color. Being seen is the most important! If you plan on using these lights all year long, be careful of your color choice. IMO stick with strictly amber (warning) lights. If you have all sorts of red flashing while in a breakdown lane, you will probably be mistaken for an unmarked police vehicle. MA uses Ford Expeditions for commercial vehicle enforcement. Any passing cruiser will pull over for back-up (automatically). They will probably be pissed that you were "mis-identified" and wasting their time. IMO a good setup for you would be amber vertex in reverse lights and front directionals, TIR3's on rear license plate, and something mounted in rear window. And yes, check your local area for the proper permit.
  7. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I cant believe you have to have a permit for amber lights. Thats dumb.

But what DHDB is correct. Put some in your reverse and blinkers. TIR3s on the license plates also good spot for low. And one mounted on the inside of the rear window will be up high. But for the rear window i would do a directional bar. So people know to get over. Defiantly helps.
  8. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Where do you guy's put your hideaway's? reverse lights, brake lights? Front: turn signal or headlight. I just got mine and I'm curious where in the light housing do you mount yours..
  9. 203

203 Junior Member

ok, I spent an hour writing a response and it just got deleted when I went to add someone's quote.
    Give me a second so I can at least get some stuff in while I remember
  10. 203

203 Junior Member

First off I am pleased for the warm welcome and to see so many from my area here.

A quick thing as far as the CLEAR regardless,is so when I have to swap into another truck or sell, I have more options.

Vehicle not business registered, can't do the yellow w/permit.

Trooper issue, he only said that, might do something else. But for an older one would figure they'd be the hardest. But as paranoid as it sounds, those lights and the mistaken factor save me at some point, it's worth it...Even though my logic would dictate that everyone should have HAW's so if they break down...Anyway-Couple that with these parking lot drivers while I'm working...

Family friend FIRE/EMS- a LED bar to him inside would make it look like a "PD (task force or something?), or volunteer impersonation"-LOL,considering only visible color when activation, he's got a point.
    Speaking of volunteers, technically in CT they can't do anything whatsoever with front lighting, LED/STROBE/WIG WAG, you name it. Just blue away from factory lighting functions, with a permit.

Now the shop issue was just an "assumption", figured since it was only under an individual and the various, have this but not that or have this w/ permit type of deal for lights, that especially given the CLEAR choice of mine, thought it would be a no-go.
    On the other hand If it's not too much I would like to be able to do it myself, but having it appear professional and clean is very much as important.
    By the way for everyone local I'm in New Haven.

Really do appreciate everything, just hope to figure this out.

Thanks again,

11. 203

203 Junior Member

Quick thing to keep in mind-As far as the rear goes the entire gate or window will usually be up, and/or myself standing in front of it when the lighting is most needed, (all my tools are in the rear,hence the 5%), so thinking about it further the corners are really the only option as it is.
  12. oh8chevy2500

oh8chevy2500 Senior Member

there are plenty of roadside assistance vehicles that i have seen that still have a traffic director light bar mounted inside but to the roof instead of the gate o it stays facing out with the gate up
  13. Sno What

Sno What Member
    from CT

Its not illegal in CT have flashy lights installed on your vehicle, and you don't need a permit to use them - if you are on private property. I've never heard of a cop giving us snow plow guys a hard time during a storm. However, if you are doing roadside assistance, and plan on using flashing lights on the side of the hwy in CT, you might be in for trouble. A guy I knew decided to run through CT with his fully loaded amber EDGE bar going because his trailer lights were out. Bad idea, he get a big ticket and a severe tail chewing from the trooper.
  14. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Man im glad i dont live in CT. I run my ambers all the time on the road. Most time while im parked, i got hit a few years back and refuse not to have them. At least now if i get and i have my strobes going, its their fault not mine.

chevy is right too, you can mount the directional bar on in the back so when you open the hatch its still visible

Sounds like to me the only thing your gonna be able to get away with is strobes in your taillights. Since your hazards would normally be on, blinking red. Most of the time you can get away with strobes in your brakes lights.

You need to call your state trooper office and ask what you can get away with. And if you have to get a permit, i would. Whats more important, $30 a year or you life?
  15. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

As far as I know you can run amber all the time, towing a trailer would be a good application especially one without lights. :confused: What did trooper ***** about? Here you get a ticket for no trailer lights, fix them within 24 hours, show another cop who signs off on it and you send ticket in. DONE! :nod:
  16. 203

203 Junior Member

I think it's called"the truck squad"-creative huh, LOL, but in CT it's like the DMV/State Police(those gray cars & suv's w/ the blue stripe & decals) and they'll stop a truck for anything under the sun, as far as the amber bar, it was probably the no lights on the trailer, the whole combination.Who knows?
    Anyway, I bunched far too much together earlier, and didn't make the highway part exactly what I meant.

It seems lately (past year or so), 5 (FIVE) times I've had something puncture one of MY TIRES, on the highway, wasn't able to make it off and changed it on the side. If it seems like a rather high amount I believe it's the multiple houses renovating around me and the *&^% makes it's way through in the most in-opportunistic spots, understandably that many times in your own car on the highway, I mean damn. Have AAA, but truth be told I think anyone who is able, is better off doing it themselves, DOT will drive right past you....(don't get me started), & by the time a Trooper or AAA comes you could have changed the 4 of them, oppossed to staying inside waiting to get hit.

The above is the only time anything would be activated on the highway, NEVER moving.

A side street lockout would be different, although still parked.

A parking lot of (I believe), more than 10 cars is considered "public" as well.

The technicalities to make a few$$$
  17. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

you are way over thinking this....

if you can get away with your plug in beacon you already admitted to using you can sure get away with some vertex or anything else.

Do what you what you want to do man, if a cop ever rolls up on you deal with it at the time. If your not whipping through traffic with them on you will be fine.....trust us.

Now, as for what you want, front/back switch and such it is very easy to do as you saw in the 10 vertex video i put up....install is also a cake walk.....in your truck you could have your 4 reverse and 2 forward in around 2 hours time.

IMO.....amber in the reverse lens and front parking lens and skip the tail light lens in rear in favor of a set of high mounted ambers somehow in rear window area. Or in perfect world a traffic advisor in rear top area mounted to roof like said is BEST...

Stay out of the red lens and stay away from white led lights and your gonna be fine......all amber will never even make a cop pull over....

there are also some nice surface mount lights you can get to go ON the tail gate so when you lift it up they become visible.....mounted on the bottom edge so when it's up they are nice and high and when you shut it they go away totally....

also they make a LED type of collapsible road cone you can get 3 of and then you have the "get over" three cones behind your truck flashing as well......they are little heads you stick on a cone and set out like the trucks use the triangles.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  18. 203

203 Junior Member

Thanks & Hope you got the email.

Also, as I mentioned to George I was a tow operator for a while.
    People can think what they want but in my personal vehicle experience and a wrecker w/ 10k amber LED's & strobes...when you really need them people seem to see you more as a target than anything.