1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vermont tests out TowPlow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snodough, Feb 25, 2011.

1. snodough

snodough Junior Member

2. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

that is intersting. sweet looking setup.
  3. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Definitely an interesting concept!
  4. R.G.PEEL

R.G.PEEL 2000 Club Member
    from Toronto

we have those here too. There was a story about them on the news and I saw it on the highway one time. Its a tank though not a hopper.
  5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

They've been using them here too. They're cool... Til you get stuck behind one on the interstate... :cry:
  6. Plow Chaser

Plow Chaser PlowSite.com Addict

They actually featured this story on the weather channel today as well! I think these towplows are finally catching on.
  7. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

i bet it is 30grand
  8. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Probably more than that $$$$$$. Gotta be tough to drive, but it looks like a real time saver.
  9. PlowboyVT

PlowboyVT Member
    from VT

10. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Nice setup, Interesting
  11. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

It seems like a LOT more to go wrong. Plus I doubt they'd set every truck up to run it.

So if they've got 2 trucks set up neither one with that then yes they've got more drivers to start with. Now that being said if you've only got one truck towing that thing and you've got an issue with the truck that is towing the tow plow then you're completely stuck. Whereas if you had 2 trucks running with 2 drivers and one had an issue you're down 50% on production but you're not 100% out of production.

Additionally I'd rather have 2 drivers out in 2 trucks than 1 driver out in that because if something happened to one truck in the middle of a storm at least I'd have another vehicle right there so my driver would have a heated cab to take refuge in.

I can see that having somewhat of a use on interstates or somewhere that you never have to back up but past that I really don't see a use for it.

And what can you do with it when there's no snow to move? Another tandem I can go haul something with it and have another truck available when it's not snowing. That can't do anything in the off season.

Plus it's just a LOT for one guy in one truck to try to be running all at once and if you put a second guy in the truck to run it you've removed any benefit to having it really.

So in short my opinion is: Very cool idea but limited practical applications.
  12. zabMasonry

zabMasonry Senior Member
    from vt

Saw this on the news and laughed. I don't think that it will ever really get off the ground. Folks will go crazy if they get stuck behind a truck doing 25 mph. I really liked how the state managed to forget that the other trucks are doing 40-50 mph so the notion that it will do twice the work is really flawed. I'm also not particularly crazy about cutting jobs in the current economy.

What I really want the state to do is stop salting during the storm, and just plow the damn roads. They can do it at speed, keeping the lanes clear of accumulation. Then a day or two later when the sun comes out, hit it with a bit of salt, the pavement will be dry in no time.
  13. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

I like those municipal plows that have a second blade to push the snow on the curb back for the next storm. I've only seen them in Canada in big storms. We have trucks with a second blade in some areas here.
  14. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Does anyone know what the total with cleared is (truck plow & tow plow), here state DOT has trucks with wings on both sides. Id bet it close to the same width as truck with towplow & alot cheaper
  15. Plow Chaser

Plow Chaser PlowSite.com Addict

16. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

So, to answer my question....12' "Clears a path of 24’ or more with a 12 foot front plow". Wings are 9'-13' long (figure about 6' @ angle, clearing width ?) x 2 (one on each side), front plow 12' (9' clearing width ?). 28' with a tandem wing plows & front blade ? sounds like this would be a better setup ? Maybe NY state does one or 2 things smart ?
  17. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

18. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

My bet is that the next generation of it will have a operator cab complete with steering, much like a ladder truck would.
  19. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Wont that be a sight..plow truck with a tiller man. I cant wait, I think Id like that job..
  20. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

What is the advantage that this has over a side plow?