1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Verbal Agreement" at a gas station?!?!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by battags, Oct 28, 2004.

1. battags

battags Member

I placed a bid on a BP gas station which is about a block from my place. I stopped in the other day and spoke with the manager, which I have known for some time. I asked her if the contract was approved by the regional manager and she said that it was.

I said "great" and said that as soon as I received the written contract back and the snow starts flying, I'll be plowing some snow. She then proceeds to tell me that BP managers are not allowed to sign anything and that it is a verbal contract only!!!!

I couldn't believe it! They sign for a stack of newspapers, gas delivery, and even the guy who washes the windows! I'm getting a whif of something, here, and it stinks pretty bad.

Have any of you delt with BP? Suggestions?

Brian

2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I find it hard to believe that they can't sign any contracts. If they can't sign anything, how will they sign your cheque at the end of the month?

I would find out from the regional manager she goes through to do this. If he can approve it, maybe he can sign your contract.

3. This sounds like a bad deal to me. I wouldn't do anything unless it was in writing, even if a contract isn't worth as much as thought. A buddy of mine doesn't use them, he figures if someone isn't gonna pay you, they just plain aren't gonna pay, whether there is a contract to tell them too or not :waving:

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

No contract, no snow removal. :nono: If I plowed the joint and they didn't want to pay, I would eat the labor cost and put all the snow right back on the lot...most of it against the entrance. :nod:

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I agree with a contract in this case. I don't normally use contracts with mostly residential, but even I use contracts with businesses. Maybe with Mom and Pop stores you can get by without them and operate on a verbal agreement, but BP is simply too big an operation for that. For one thing, for them it's written off taxes and they need the contract and subsequent bills/checks to document expenses. Either your local manager isn't authorized to contract for any services, or needs some training by the District Manager.

6. RICHIE K

RICHIE K Member
    from NJ

7. rainair

rainair Senior Member

contract

NO contract...see snow on lot, sign contract see no snow on lot...
    their attorney's are stronger then yours.... give yourself an edge
    not having the client is better then going to court...things happen on gas lots... I make sure I have a spotter on gas lots for traffic and the pumps, lids
    and I just salt around the tank lid area

8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I have several corporate owned businesses that I don't have "contracts " with. I have the manager sign my "bid proposal" and leave it at that. If you insist on a contract with BP, it will probably be a contract written by their legal department. It will take several weeks or months to get and, won't make you or the manager happy.....

9. rainair

rainair Senior Member

bp gas

then they can get someone else no contract no plow

10. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I do lawn care for a gas station and it's verbal only. The managers don't own the store, so it's not up to them. The signing of newspapers and stuff is to make sure they recieved what they paid for and approve of it. Mowing the lawn or plowing the driveway can be paid for right out of the cash register. Remember, the manager usually doesn't own the store. The money comes from the business owner or owners.

Sincerely,
    Jake

11. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Only commercial without a contract is the Pizza place....

1 plow = 2 pizza (2 parking spaces)

12. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

I did a bowling alley with no contract and got screwed on the deal. Supposedly I pushed the snow in the wrong direction when in fact it was the same as always. We had two big snows in one week and I ran out of room. Didn't get a chance to get a loader or anything. The business is a family corporation type deal, and one of the sons is in charge of the property. He moved out of town and hired a manager who hired me. The " son " , I worked for him off and on since I was 16, so that shows you how much loyalty I got. Oh to add insult to the whole thing, they rehired the old guy that did the job before me, and he charges them $10/hr more and pushes it in the same direction as I was.