1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Venturing into liquid - starting small scale at first

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DirtyJerzey, Dec 5, 2012.

1. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

I have been boucing around with liquid brine/calcium for a few years but have not put into use for our operation yet. I want to start out with small scale use on walk ways and driveways. 2 complexes and 2 HOAs we maintain require a heaping amount of calcium per storm and we are looking to make it more effecient by making that calcium go farther per dollar. So I figured on finally going the liquid route with just walk ways first and the driveways first. I have heard of contractors using backpack Pest/Fert. sprayers filled with brine/liquid calcium on their sidewalk crews and have had great results. My issue is, using backpack fert. sprayers seems very labor intensive to apply product to all the walks and driveways as compared to the traditional push/tow behind spreader for walk ways.

I have seen some people use gravity fed units and all though I am personally not a fan, but perhaps a small 20-40gal gravity fed unit on the back of an ATV that we use for our sidewalk service could be a solution.

Or what about a handheld sprayer like the fertilizer guys use with a larger tank in the bed of a truck powered by an electric or gas salt water pump that you could drive along the sidewalks and spray your liquid product onto the side walks.

I am definitely going to set up a large liquid set up next year for one of dump trucks, however I would like to do the small scale expermenting this year so when we go to applying liquid on large sites next year, we have our techniques down pat.

What have you guys done? Any ideas you would like to see tried?

2. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

i bought a used unit like this one for $150 and plan on pulling it behing a small tractor

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  3. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

4. Under Pressure5

Under Pressure5 Junior Member

I am in the same boat. I own a power washing biz and we have all types of sprayers etc. for cleaning. I have converted some of them to apply salt brine for the winter months. After purchasing a hefty $$ salt brine making system we are ready to go. We have truck mounted sprayers with hose reels that allow us to treat sidewalks very easily. We are trying to figure out what to charge for this service. Any advice on pricing to apply and perhaps what salt brine goes for by the gallon. Mark