1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ventrac or Toro Groundmaster

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by A&J Landscaping, Oct 2, 2015.

1. A&J Landscaping

A&J Landscaping Senior Member

We are looking at getting a few sidewalk machines not sure what to try. My 2 choices are a ventrac or a toro groundmaster. We would be using brooms and snow blowers depending on the amount of snow. Im looking to see what guys have used and how they like them. Any feed back would be helpful thanks.
  2. nw landscaping

nw landscaping Junior Member
    from 06757

I have had a ventrac for the past 5 yrs and absolutely love it. I just picked up the snowblower last season and the thing is an animal. We had a 16" storm last yr and went thru it like a dusting. Previously I used the snowplow and worked pretty good, even in 8-10" of accumulation. One thing I would recommend with the snowblower is a cab, if not a really good snow suit and goggles is highly recommended. The other benefit are the amount of attachments you can get to utilize it all year round. I would buy another one without hesitation when the time comes to replace mine.
  3. hawkfan45

hawkfan45 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Go Ventrac and don't look back. My ventrac runs beast mode in snow. Seriously, buy one. You wont regret it.
  4. mitchp

mitchp Member

Until I stopped working I worked at a huge site. Many buildings, many miles of roads and lots of parking lots.
    The grounds dept had a fleet of diesel Groundsmaster mowers. At least 12-15 of them. They were used year round. I think the mowers were 72" but they had plows, snowblowers (which they didnt like to use for some crazy reason), brooms and even leaf blowers. Not all of them were used for snow removal but the ones that were all had cabs and heaters. I think the cabs were Cozy cabs. From what I could see the Groundmasters did very well moving snow.

They used the Toros just for sidewalks close to buildings. They also had a bunch of older Ford industrial tractors set up with permanently mounted cabs and Meyer plows. These were bought back in the early 70s and they just kept rebuilding them. A few years before I left they started replacing the Fords with JDs.
  5. Bigdog4342

Bigdog4342 Junior Member

I have a ventrac 300 model and it has done a great job with snow blower and broom. What makes me nervous is that it is very difficult to change belts and it has a lot of electrical connections hoping will hold up and not corrode
  6. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

I assume every market is different, but how much do the ventrac machines run and how much are the blower and broom attachments?
  7. mitchp

mitchp Member

How close is the nearest Ventrac dealer ? Ive never seen one in my area. Lots of Toro dealers though. When you need a part in a hurry I think that would be a huge consideration. JD also makes a nice machine. 4wd too.
  8. johnnyusa

johnnyusa Member
    from ct

I have a John Deere 1420 with a cab and heater and this too is amazing in snow it has a 47 inch snowblower and a plow you won't regret one of these machines
  9. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

I had a groundsmaster with a 52 inch Olathe blower and cozy cab. It was a dependable machine but to light for a good size blower. I had as much weight that I could safely put on the back and was hard to steer backing up with wheel off ground.

I have heard only good about ventrac. There is other machines like trackless or bombardier which is called something else now. It begins with a P french name.
  10. panduro

panduro Junior Member

I run Belos transpro 54 with rotary broom,its a Bit bigger than ventrac but comparable anyways, rotary brooms and manuoverable is f... perfect for sidewalks and smaller sites. I havent needed a snowblower yet, but theres a first for Everything.

Tryed both a ventrac and a toro, i prefered the ventrac for its manouvrebility. Was simply possible to work faster in small places. Toro seems to be better all around year, but for snow id Pick thr ventrac.
    Micth had a valid point though, would it be possible to get spare parts fast in ur area?

Best regards
    Mr tipsy