1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ventrac or Atv?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PrecisionS&I, Oct 2, 2012.

1. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

Looking at getting a sidewalk machine, most of the walks are 5' wide some 4'. What do you think is better for this a ventrac/steiner NO cab 48" straight blade or a atv with a 48" blade?
  2. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

IMHO,Which ever is more manuverable and has a tighter turning radius. I've never ran a Ventrac, so I couldn't speak for them. We have 5 quads with 60" blades and some times it can be tough to maneuver around. All you need is 1 idiot to pull to far over the curb and you're toast.
  3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Your not comparing apples to apples (or even oranges for that matter). A Ventrac will be far more manuverable than a 4 wheeler. 4 wheelers are great for long walks, realitively straight, once you have tight manuvering they loose efficiency quick. However a 4 wheeler (400-500cc class) is probably less than 1/2 a ventrac or steiner. So its really a give/take thing.
  4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Steiner or ventrac with a blower.
  5. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

Agree, comparing a ventrac to an atv doens't make sense. I have a ventrac and love it. It is a work maching, where an atv is more of a recreational machine. The ventrac is articulated, so way more manueverable, and it accepts a wide range of attachments for different jobs/seasons. Ours with full cab and a bunch of attachments was up around $30K. Atv with a plow will be what, $6-8K?
    If it means anything, we don't use our atv for sidewalks anymore since we bought the ventrac...
  6. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

I'm going to be the odd man out here and recommend against a Ventrac. We purchased two units (used) and they were nothing but trouble - even after multiple trips to the dealer for warranty work. On a regular sidewalk, the larger ones are still apt to run over on the grass and the articulation didn't do much either.

I will admit, the blower did eat through some pretty nasty snow (when it worked). Also, the rotary brush worked the best for us - we never ran a blade. The cab heats up pretty quickly too, so no need to wear a jacket when you're operating the thing. Hearing protection is a must though!

During the summer, the Ventrac pretty much sat. We did purchase a 60" deck for it, but it wasn't nearly as fast as our zero-trun mowers. Plus, with the cab on it, it was much hotter. So, that might be something to consider too.

Another option is a front mount mower, such as a Kubota, with a push blade on it.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012