1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ventrac 4500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jhakarter, Feb 20, 2016.

1. jhakarter

jhakarter Member

Hey there. I just recently purchased a ventrac 4500'with broom. I Absolutly love the machine- I currently run 11 deere brooms and would
    Switch to All ventrac in a heartbeat. Abyway- I have one question- downfall, when we broom across sidewalks that have handicap ramp ups in them, the broom will leave snow. It brooms good up the one side but in the other side it does not follow the contour of the ground and leaves snow. Curious if anyone has any insite to this. We run the lever in float mode almost all the time. The deere float over the handicap areas and get them all clean but I just cannot get these clean. Thanks!

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Pics would help. Not sure what you mean. Anyway, attach a shovel on the machine and hop out and shovel that bit. How long could it take, 30 sec??

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Question, why is the Ventrac superior to the Deere if it doesn't clean as well?

What Deere\broom combo are you using?

4. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

You guys must get all light and dry snow. My broom is good for maybe a storm or two a year on my ventrac. The rest need plow or blower.

5. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Mark Oomkes

Don't you have 2 series Deeres--can you post photos and reviews?

6. Mark Oomkes

1025r, I will when I'm finished not liking someone's Facebook page or whatever it's called.

7. SDLandscapes VT

from Vermont

So lets dialog on this as I m looking for a sidewalk type machine choices right now

Ventrac 4500

JD 2032R with cab, some sort of frame mount vplow and front blower with drop PTO spreader

48" width ideal 60" width acceptable

8. hawkfan45

hawkfan45 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I love my Ventrac 4500 for snow. It is hands down my favorite machine I own to operate. It should be comparable in price to the JD 2032R when you add in the cab and attachments. Probably you would save some money if you went with the JD 2025R.

Size - my 4500 is 48" wide. The v-blade get down to that width as well, but their broom and blowers are both wider than 48".

Are you planning on using this unit outside of winter, or changing attachments throughout the winter? If so, go Ventrac and don't look back. Way easier to switch attachments, and is an awesome mower to have in the fleet. Also, Ventrac won't tear up turf like the JD 2023R will. If you need the front end loader, Ventrac has an okay option, but JD has the advantage there. I find the Ventrac power bucket to adequate for 99% of the jobs I do though.

Changing Ventrac Attachments - https://youtu.be/NkvH1SDQSO4
    Installing the snowblower to the JD2023R - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX_5s3UvRUM

Another big advantage that I see with Ventrac - the hand-controlled hydrostatic drive is smooth and easy to operate. Very natural to new operators, and makes smooth and quick transitions from forward to reverse. The articulating frame gives it an awesome turning radius for a 4-wheel drive machine.

Find someone in your area that has a Ventrac and give it a try and let me know what you think.

9. SDLandscapes VT

from Vermont

So I have allegedly a ventrac demo--i ll believe it when I m sitting in the seat.

Follow up questions--from sitting in one at NE grows the hand controls seemed awkward to me vs foot pedal drive of JD with steering wheel and hydraulics for raise/lower/angle

If I go to the 2025 I might as well size down to the 1025. My biggest concern with the JD is the blower looks cheap and lacks deflection control and has cable spout spin, an aftermarket V plow like the boss would be ideal, but boss doesn't make one 48" small--anyone have a suggestion.

I could argue for either of these machines equally in the summer--I have a great john deere dealer and I own three larger rigs already. The ventrac isnt a dealer, but an authorized representative--he can do some service etc, but no dealer per se locally for in storm support.

PTO drop spreader I believe is cheaper than Ventrac option as well?

10. Mark Oomkes

Hijack alert.

Hmmm, the one with the blower wouldn't upload.

20141022_100725.jpg

20150108_112002.jpg

11. Mark Oomkes

I'd like to get either a Ventrac or SnowEx drop spreader for my Deere yet. Eventually.

Overall, I'm very happy with the 1025R and broom for 95% of our snowfalls. The blower worked great when we used it. Never priced a Ventrac, the only thing I've heard is they're expensive.

12. hawkfan45

hawkfan45 Junior Member
    from Ohio

agreed - the hand controls of the Ventrac are a little awkward at first. After using them for a while, I wouldn't want to go back to the foot controls. If you are used to running equipment, the learning curve should be real quick for you.
    The spreader for a Ventrac...I've seen their drop salter at a show, but don't personally own one. I really liked what I saw about it though. If you are trying to save some bucks, and aren't putting down a lot of material, than go with the PTO spreader.

13. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Are you guys using the big or small Ventrac and how is the quality of lawn cut with those?

Mark - do you use your tractor at all in the summer? I'm guessing you have other bigger stuff to use instead though - I'm looking for something that I could use both seasons, whether it be mowing or small landscape jobs.

I've even seen New Hollands front deck mower is 4wd.....

14. Mark Oomkes

We used it for spring cleanups last year.

Thinking aboot an aerator. Gemplers has a cool 12v electric spreader that will attach to the 3 point. A nice little 4' brush hog would be nice too.

15. hawkfan45

hawkfan45 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I'm using the Ventrac 4500 for mowing. Cut Quality is fine, the big roller on the back of the deck does an awesome job of laying stripes on the lawn. I put the Ventrac on hills that my zero turn would have never gone. That Ventrac has no fear of going on steep stuff.

16. SDLandscapes VT

from Vermont

anyone have a blade on the John Deere even a straight one--dealer thinks it might be too light duty for what I want to do. How and where are you guys using these machines, how do you get them to the site and transit them there--do you drive from site to site, whats the "roading" ability? How fast are in the field implement switches?

17. SDLandscapes VT

from Vermont

MOomkes has me thinking because a 1025R or even 2025R is significantly cheaper, but I need to know if it is as capable.

18. A&J Landscaping

A&J Landscaping Senior Member

We bought our first ventrac this year . We got the 3400 with cab diesel and got the snow blower broom and stainless steal drop spreader. We spent $36,000 for everything. We love it we use the broom the most and then put the blower on at the end of the storm for the heavy snow. The drop spreader works awesome. The machine is 40 inch's wide with the attachments witch is great because it fits everywhere. We will be adding 2 more for next year.

19. Mark Oomkes

Be nice to hear from the OP..........but in the mean time, what makes a Ventrac the bestest and onlyiest sidewalk machine in the world?

I'm ready for some Kool-Aid.

20. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Uggh - 36k for the small one? Those attachments average what 4k each, that's still 20 for the tractor - ugghh.

Big difference I see between them is articulating if you need the manuverability - I hate how real tractors just don't turn so well. I need to go drive one of those rear steer front mount mowers.