1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Venting....Trans out

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JN16184, Jan 28, 2010.

1. JN16184

JN16184 Member

My 2005 6.0 F250SD lost it's trans yesterday. It only has 36k miles on it. I've owned it since new and, being in central VA, only plowed one decent storm in 5 years...last month. I got it to the dealer about 1:00 yesterday, had to limp it in 'cause I didn't want to wait 2 hours for a tow truck. I have the Ford extended warrenty, so it's covered, but as of 4:30 today, they hadn't even pulled it in the shop....

We've got a major storm coming in tomorrow night and they can't even be bothered to look at it yet....too many ahead of me, no available lifts, get to it as soon as they can....B.S.

I might buy another Ford, but this place is trying real hard to loose my business. I almost considered just buying another truck, but this place (I'm sure) couldn't find the time to transfer my plow over. I had to dig to find someone to cover my plowing comitments for this storm. Looks like I'll be pushing a snowblower this weekend. I've lost transmissions before, but had shops that had them back on the road in less than 24 hrs. I've been doing this for over 25 years.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Sorry to hear that.
    Some dealers just plain SUCK. The 5R110's (torqshift) trans are usually very tough. Is the truck stock or do you have any tuning? There are a few programmers that are very hard on the 5R110's.
    Robert

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Lost mine at 37,000 ,they put in a reman. with a 3/36 on it. Back in 02 the warranty was only 3/36 so it cost me half and Ford picked up the other half.

4. JN16184

JN16184 Member

Other than the plow on the truck, it's totally stock. I've heard too much about the 6.0's having lots of problems when you start screwing around with them, so I haven't. At least, other than a $100 deductable, I shouldn't have to pay for this...they better not try to find a way to weasel out of it. I had to pay a lot extra for the service plan because of the plow on the truck.

5. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

is there another dealer in the area you can take it to? ford doesnt reman there trans if i recall correctly they sub it out to a contracted trans shop.

6. rob_cook2001

It all depends if the dealer has a tranny guy.
    I had a trans go around 33k(my truck was NOT stock lol) and they were going to totally re-build it in house. I bought a suncoast superduty re-build kit and a ATS converter and the trans guy put it in for a case of beer :}
    Robert

7. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

i thought ud be running a BTS or sumthin a little heavier ??? lol

8. rob_cook2001

In that truck I ran the suncoast re-build for a long time. When I finally killed it we put a Full ATS trans in it. It hooked over 20 times and ran numerous 12.5's with just the re-build kit and ATS converter though.
    I have never ran one of Brians(BTS) transmissions.
    Robert

9. JN16184

JN16184 Member

Well, they finally got it in and opened it up today. Pulled the pan, bright red fluid, not burnt and no metal. They're thinking the wiring control harness has corrosion in it amd is the problem. They've ordered one, but it probably won't be in until next week. I offered to pay for Fedx, next day, Saturday delivery....it didn't seem to matter, even though they have mechanics working on Saturday until 4.

I guess I get to play in the snow, like the "normal" people. Either that or push my snow blower.....nah, my son can do that!

10. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

well thats good new i suppose! atleast she doesnt need a liver transplant..lol

11. JN16184

JN16184 Member

Man...this is different, just sitting out a storm. I haven't done that in over 25 years. About 12" down and 8 more hours predicted to continue.

12. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

It's relaxing isn't it? I can't imagine what a storm is like without all that stress. :sleeping:

13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That storm passed 50 miles below us. We just got the cold and clouds.

14. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I hate it when I have to deal with people with no sense of urgency.

15. JN16184

JN16184 Member

Actually I think it was more stressful. All of my customers calling, wanting to know who could take care of them and couldn't provide any definite answers.

I spent 3 days helping my son, walking a snowblower, shoveling and spreading. We were using a tractor, too....you get mighty cold when you're used to the cab of a truck with nice seats.

Well, my truck should be back tomorrow, in time for another 'possible' storm this weekend.

16. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

good to hear. good luck with the rest of the season!

17. JN16184

JN16184 Member

I picked it up today, it seems to running right....so far. A new storm predicted for the weekend, though it probably won't happen since I'm ready....
    [​IMG]

18. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

so was it the trans or the harness?

19. JN16184

JN16184 Member

They said it was the control harness for the transmission. The wires and contacts were corroded inside the sheathing and plugs.

20. plowking15

plowking15 Member

I'm surprised it didn't throw any codes. I just had a trannie done,different brand of truck,but previous times I had codes for low ratio or high ratio error. Sometimes speedometer can be effected. plowking