1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vent deflector not moving

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mcwlandscaping, Jan 16, 2009.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

In my 97k2500, when i turn the heat deflector to a certain position, no matter which one it is, there is always still a ton of air blowing on the windshield. I know a few of the positions are supposed to have this happen but not all of them. What could be the problem?

Thanks for any insight.

-mike-

2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Defrost is the default position for the heater. most likely a vacuum line problem to heater. Should be a black plastic ball about 3-4" with vacuum lines I would check there first

3. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

These trucks don't run off of vaccum like the older ones it is electronic. The positions are all controlled by the switch and have little motors. I just had the same problem but it was because of moisture that got in there and overnight froze the door where it was and had no heat.

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

what style controler do you have for the heat/cool? Electronic or knowbs?

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Electronic.............thanks for the help guys! =]

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Mike the first thing to check is the defrost/dash vent actuator and its linkage for full movement or a broken lever.

These components are located just to the right of the throttle pedal on the end of the HVAC box so thats where you want to look. You'll see the electric actuator with the links connected to it that move the blend doors. Move the defrost/heat knob back and forth and watch to see if the actuator is moving the linkage (make sure the key is on). Sometimes the levers break or pop apart and will prevent the actuator from closing off the defroster duct. And also the actuators will get weak and won't pull the doors fully.

7. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Hey B&B. The little clips that go on them. Can they be bought at a parts store or do they need to be bought from the stealership?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I always source them at the dealer...haven't checked recently if their now available in the aftermarket.

9. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

There is a flapper door inaide that more than likely went bad. My 98 did it and the door had boken off its hinges. Mech did it for like 400 or so on mine but he had to move a lot of radios and stobe lighting then put back when done so I'd say 300 or so is about right The door is in the big box by your feet between the seats.