1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Venitng - I no you guys understand

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jvm81, Feb 5, 2008.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I do a complex that has 20 driveways. 12 on one side, 8 on other. Another crew does the street on doth sides. 2 inches of snow yesterday. Not a big deal. This place is all old people. Youngest around 68, oldest 92. Some marriage, some elderly single ladies. President of this place comes out. Tells me all he gets are complaints. Ok - first time I heard of all these complaints in the last number of years we have done this place. I ask who is complainingg cuz i would like to speak to these people. He couldn't remember there names. Then asked me why the bill is so high. I told him well you haven't paid for any snow removal and Nov, Dec, Jan bill added up. Then he tells me "if you were my son, I'd kick your ass all over the place for the poor job you do" I was that close to lossing my cool and saying piss on you and your snow. My wife says I should of left - but that comment is still driving me nuts. Just needed to vent!

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

next storm go wake him up, drag him out of a nice warm bed and have him show you exactly what he wants you to do. i think his tune would change then.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

welcome to the world of working for condos. Nobody is ever happy no matter how good of a job you do.

4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Like muni's......no one has a clue. I agree wake him up at 2 am and say "come ride with me and see what I do" do you think he'll leave a warm bed??
    I hope you have a collection clause in your contract....

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Stay professional - losing your cool or waking him up will only confirm his opinion. First, stay with your contract if you have one. If not, consider writing him a letter terminating your services "since you are unhappy with them.". Also consider contacting law enforcement to file charges. A protection order would also get his attention. The bottom line is that he needs to see you as a professional person providing a service, not some "young person" he can treat as he wants.

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

lots of people(homeowner/buz owner) always think they can do a better job, always blows my mind...

7. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Yea apartment complexes are the best. I have one and it not huge but good sized and during that ice storm on friday the owner called me (after i was done salting and ready to go out again) and said one person called and complained and said that it was icy!!! What in the heck do people expect!!! Its a ice storm!!! In the end I threw down 4 applications, now they can take that shove it. I hope they slip on the salt. What would happen if someone actually did that and wanted a law suit? lol haha thats what a lawyer would say to them. laugh them right out of the office.

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Best advice of the day.

9. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

When he can't remember the names of who complained, it is usually a personal complaint that he doesn't want to own up to. You could go door to door and ask everyone what they thought of your work also. It's only 20 homes. I bet in a face to face you would hear very few complaints. Pass that info back to your complainer and see what he had to say. I would keep doing the work for this season as long as you are getting paid and then consider dumping them next season. If you need the account let it go in one ear and out the other. I know it pizzes you off, but keep taking their money as long a you can stand it.

10. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

He can't threaten you like that its against the LAW. Send him a letter stating that you are a professional and demand to be treated as such. If this happens again you will file charges against him personally. I don't care how much a account is worth, no one deserves to be treated that way. Also, remember he is elderly, things alwasy seem to bother them the most.

11. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

They haven't paid for 3 months and you are still plowing???

Ummm, what??????????/:dizzy:

Stop service til you are caught up. I would have stopped months ago.
    once it gets to be April, you'll have no leverage.

12. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I here ya. Hence the reason for pictures! I just took this man to much to heart I guess. Besides that comment about "his son" and one other LCO who does snow called me a DA*& fool this winter cuz we do snow for everyone - not just the mowing/spraying clients that I have in the summer. But over all - being told I was going to get my A*& kicked has to be the best thus far this year.

13. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Ive had simmilar experiences with old crabby people who are just pissed that they cant do there lawn/snow work anymore. In my opinion its just not worth it to be treated like that. i would either drop them or the next time you get a big storm call him up and tell him your done because he is a PITA

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Some old people, just don't like young guys. I don't have the problems I had with propertiy managers now, that I had when I'm younger. They for some reason assume your screwing around when your young. Do what Mick said.

15. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Bad thing is I really don't think of myself as young - but compared to 76, then maybe. Blowning snow all day today and there are few drifts through the drives - I really don't want to go back to there - but so be it I guess. I just charge them - always like taking money! Point is some people are just that PITA.

There was one other person like that in another condo we did. I told him the same - see ya. When it snowed - I was there to early cuz it may blow tomorrow. Then I put them on the end of the list and calling where I am at. Last time I was johny on the spot. When mowing there - wasn't right day to mow, next week wait a day, way to late - now you gota bag it all, to short, now to high, after so much - he could kiss my as#. I dropped him - he therefore dropped me a month later cuz little did I know he was mister grounds committee chairman and we lost a nice church account - mow, spray/fert, snow and line striping/sweeping the lot. But when i look back on it - I am still rejoicing!

16. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I feel inclined to chime in here, for what it is worth.

If I were in your situation, I believe the best advice offerd is Mick's

Always remember, that YOU ARE THE PROFESSIONAL!!!

Act accordingly. If they continue to harass and threaten you, the retaliate with the legal limits.

Dont loose you cool, and go off on the guy. That will surely hurt your personal, and business reputation

JMO
    Good Luck

17. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Do you think you could take him in a fight? Then kick his A$$. Just kidding.

You NEED to get paid. Send them a cerified letter with the invoice in it. Reference your contract on work stopages if you don't get the money. Mention that it will be handed over to collections. Whatever it takes. Three months without getting paid is silly on your part.

The guy probably was pissed becasue his grandkids hadn't called that month. Let that go in one ear and out the other. If it happens again, then you can file a restraining order. Judge might get a laugh out of it, but it will get the guys attention.

Bottom line. You need to get paid.