1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Venco Western ??????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JCurtis, Jun 16, 2003.

1. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Ok, Im sitting in the office and the telephone rings, woman asks if this is Curtis Snow Removal. I acknowlege that it is, then she procedes to introduce herself,as being someone ( name not important) from Venco.

She goes on to explain that she has 4 Circuit City's that she needs bids on snow removal for, and asks if I would be interested. I say of course I would, depending on their location.

She rattles off Newington, Orange Danbury and if I can remember correctly New London. I thanked her very much for calling me, but that I would not be bidding since this locations were currently out of my operational area.

So I did a little research, the company is called Venco Western, and they are from Oxnard, California. Anyone heard of them or has anyone done business with them?

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Two things I always do. First, ask where they got my name from, and second ask for the bid package. I never pass up the opportunity to see a bid package. If it is out of my area, I usually pass it on to someone I know in the particular area.

Oh, and I never heard of Venco. :)

~Chuck

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have heard of Venco. They have hit all the Danbury contractors, big and small, to plow Circuit City here. I am not sure who plows it now but everyone I know including myself turned down the opprotunity. The site brought up a bunch of problems that would have turned into additional expenses during the season that they did not want to pay for. (stacking and hauling for one.) Also the Danbury location IMO is a pain. Squeezed between the the Home Depot and the Highway a very tight location with lots of islands and perhaps the most unsquare lot I have seen.

Interesting, now I will have to look into who is doing the work now.

On another note I wonder if they are monitoring Plowsite. Interesting that they got Curtis's number because he is not really near any of the stores. I wonder if Plowking has been approached about the New London store.

4. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

You know Chuck, you're right... and I know better, I usually do ask to see the bid package.

I did also forget to ask about where they found my name.

They could have only found it at 3 places... SIMA, Plowsite, or in the business card section of snow business online.

OH well, it was too far for me to spread myself out. :rolleyes:

CT18Fireman, did you request the bid package?

5. Chuck Smith

from NJ

I was curious where they got Jeff's name from too. I am finding a lot of these nationwide companies are getting them from the Directory at Snowplowing-Contractors.com, and from the SIMA.org web sites.

I know quite a few that are only listed in my directory, so it is clear where their name was found.

As far as:

"The site brought up a bunch of problems that would have turned into additional expenses during the season that they did not want to pay for. (stacking and hauling for one.) "

Sometimes, it's not a problem if you are clearing the lot with a backhoe and snow pusher. Stacking happens everytime you plow. Not such a big deal if you are finishing the lot in a 1/3 of the amount of time it would take with a truck. When I look at large lots, I try to consider using a pusher whenever possible. It might only be one on a skid steer, but I will at least try to get one on site.

~Chuck

6. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Umm Jeff, you are also in my Directory :D, and have been for about 2 years.

~Chuck

7. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Yeah I know, Im losing it!!!!!

Hey Chuck, as soon as I wrote that I realized that I forgot your snowplowing_contractors website. I sent you a PM explaining why Im losing it!

I need a vacation:p :waving:

:confused:

8. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Last edited: Jun 16, 2003
  9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Chuck.

The key was that they did not see this as "normal" plowing. I would have included everything in the bid with extra for off site hauling but all they were asking for was "plowing." They did not understand what maintaining the lot for a winter would involve. Again I need to look into who is doing it now. In talking to my wife she remembers back during Christmas a good portion of their spaces were taken up by piled snow, meaning less parking for the holiday.

I did get a copy of the bid and must have a copy on file. I will take a look. Again, while hte package was professional, it seemed they did not fully understand what would need to be done and I guess my attempt both in writing and a site visit to explain to them did not get across. Probably why my bid, and most around here I have talked to were too high for them.

10. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

CT18Fireman, do me a favor please

if you can locate your copy of the bid package, I would really appreciate it if you could send it to me.

Although I am not interested in bidding it, I would like to see how they structured the bid.

If you can, you can send it to me at my home address which I will PM you.

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Well surprisingly enough I got a call from Venco yesterday. I asked them to please send me a cop of the bid for the Danbury property. Since I have been unable to find the old one, haven't looked much, I will forward you a copy when I receive the new one.

12. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Thanks,

Like I said, Im not interested in the job, I just want to see how they set up the bid specs.

13. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Neither am I. I just wanted to see what the package is for next year. Plus I know who is doing the Danbury store now so it will give me an idea of what they may be looking for.