1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vehicles to use to plow with

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by V8GremlinX, Oct 20, 2003.

1. V8GremlinX

V8GremlinX Junior Member

looking for a smaller SUV, like cherokee, explorer s-10 blazer/jimmy etc... whats are some good ones to use?
    im lookingto do small stuff thats why i don't wanna full size
    Rich

2. V8GremlinX

V8GremlinX Junior Member

also whta about bronco II's?

if i was to get a S10 Blazer with the 4.3, what would i have to do to put a plow on?
    Rich

3. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Jeep Wrangler ;) :p

-John :cool:

4. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Hey Gremlin,
    Think seriously about the Cherokee. It is very manueverable and takes either Timbren or Airlift springs very well. We had a Comanche (like a pickup cherokee) for 6 years. Great little truck. The Bronco II is too short wheelbased. It has a tendancy to spin cookies real easy. S10 blazer is an OK 2nd choice. I have mounted a couple plows for friends and customers on them. OK, but not as good as the Cherokee/Comanche.
    Get an automatic and put and extra tranny cooler on it which ever you choose.
    Let us know what you get.:nod:

5. V8GremlinX

V8GremlinX Junior Member

what year cherokee's?
    and were talking about the smaller box one correct?
    let me know, so i can start looking
    any common porblems with them?
    what motor do i want?
    who makes plows for them and how much aprox?
    Rich

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Cherokee's are great little trucks.A later model 88-96 4.0L auto would make a nice little plow truck.

Late 80's,early 90's S10's with the 4.3" are also great plow trucks.

Stay away from the Ford Explorers and Bronco II's.They use a TTB front end.

A Snoway would make an excellent plow for either ofthe two trucks above.

7. V8GremlinX

V8GremlinX Junior Member

well in my search for a decent jeep 4.0 , i can't seem to find any with low mileage, they all have 140k to hell 315k
    is there a certain mileage where i should go ahead and stay away?
    let me know, i don't wanna buy one thats gonna blow up
    but with research the 4.0 seems to last forever

Rich

8. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

If your using this truck for plowing only, and not for other personal uses (i.e. - hauling kids and such). I would choose the Jeep Wrangler over the Cheroke. You can get into very tight areas with the short wheel base, and their are less blind spots. If you choose to go with the Wrangler - find one with a hard top.

If you find a S10 blazer for a great deal, I would most certainly put a plow on it. I have both kinds of trucks and both models have performed well beyond my expectations!

Good luck finding a truck.

Chuck B.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

I wouldn't worry to much about high mileage on a Jeep 4.0L,as they are pretty tough.As long as it's not beat up,it should be OK.They tend to use a little oil when they get older,but an update to the PCV fixed orifice will usually solve the problem.

10. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

4.0's are great engines (we have 3 of them). :nod: The one in my mother's 1998 ZJ (Grand Cherokee) has 144,000 miles. After 5,000 miles the oil level only goes down about 1/4" below the "full" mark.

I have changed it every 5,000 miles with Mobil-1 10w-30

I do have to add some to the 4.0L in my 1991 Wrangler.

-John :cool:

11. POWERBAND

POWERBAND Member

Small Plowerrs

This is the second Trooper I've had the Meyers 2-Meter on, It plows like a dumptruck and is as nimble as a hand shovel. I Have a newer- 95 Trooper I plan on moving the plow to. The '88 has 170K and the 95 has 102K but the '88 is losing the road salt battle.
    All the trucks are standard shift and the '88 needed a new clutch for the first time last year after 165K miles and 10 winters of plowing.
    Small trucks can be great to plow with but I keep my full size Chevyw/plow ready for the BIG storms.

[​IMG]

12. plowguy01886

plowguy01886 Junior Member

Like szorno, I have used a 1987 Jeep Comanche with a 7' Fisher for the past 5 years. I had to take it off the road (body rot at only 120K miles) this past August:cry: But that thing would push just about anything. I was doing driveways that bigger trucks could never do (too tight). It had the 4.0L/I6, 5-spd manual, 4WD with a set of All Terrain tires (a must).

I am in the process of moving the plow over to a 1998 Cherokee. Same frame, same engine, but with auto transmission. Not sure if I really need to install Timbren though (comments?).

Good luck V8GremlinX. I am sure you will enjoy the experience.

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

dcholman - It will sag some on the Cherokee,and the Timbrens will be a big help.

14. LADDER286

LADDER286 Junior Member

TIMBRENS

I need to install some timbrens on my 92 she does drop when the blade is on Definatly get a tranny cooler I lost my tranny at the end of last winter but she has 135k on it not too bad. it is the auto. 4.0 and i also need to get the pvc valve. but otherwise awesome truck plenty of power and great heat power windows all the creature comforts and you can do small driveways no problem..... good luck

15. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Careful with the Cherokee

I have seen a few Cherokees, especially the 4 doors, get their back windows blown out because the driver was going a little too fast had hit an immoveable object. The Cherokees do not have a frame, therefore the entire BODY absorbs the impact. I do a tremendous amount of 4 wheeling with Cherokees and Wranglers. I have even had a back window blow out on me in an off-camber situation. For a plow truck just to do your drive and maybe the parents, the Cherokee will be fine. I would not do much more than that, Timbrens or not.

16. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

since this has turned into cherokee talk I am getting one and hanging a meyer st78 on it, jay said that I need timbrens but what about the airlift air bags? I have had them in the past and they worked great....

17. Plow Meister

Nate,

I am not sure if you are kidding or not so I am going to assume you are serious. I say go for it. I would add the Air-Lift air bags. The power behind the 4.0L inline 6 is sick! I almost always keep the 6er in the Jeeps that I build for rock crawling because they produce massive torque for the size of the engine. Plus, with the t-case in 4lo, that torque is multiplied. With any luck, your Cherokee has the Dana-44 rear. Most common is the D-35 c-clip axle. Both are very reliable but the 44 would be virtually bulletproof with the right gears.

18. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Nate,
    I agree. Our Comanche had airlift bags. They were a bear to install but worked well. Run em up to 55 lbs for plowing, and drop em to 20 lbs for normal including 4 wheeling. I liked keeping the flex in the susp. during off season.
    As usual, post pics when you get it.:nod:

19. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

why would I be kidding

it is an 85 Cherokee (xj) and it will be a 6'6" blade. it has a 35c rear and I have no clue as to what is up front... I will have <$650 into this combo and it is just for drives. I dumped all but a few real small commercials and I am doing mostly drives only..... around here there is more money to be made on drives then large lots, it is turning into a cut throat profession.

I figure use the jeep until spring and SAS it with a 44 and put a 9" in the back with a detroit and go play on the trails until next season. :D

20. Plow Meister

You probably have a D-30 up front. If you have the split shaft front axle that is air actuated, be careful the air line doesn't get pushed off from slamming into a packed drift. I prefer the full-time D-30 axle like I have in my 2000 Cherokee. Yea, it sux up the gas but fewer parts to break.