1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vehicle Suggestions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SnowyPennsylvan, Jan 18, 2005.

1. SnowyPennsylvan

SnowyPennsylvan Junior Member

I am currently the happy owner of a 1996 Jeep Cherokee.

These past few winters, my dad and I have been looking into buying a plow. We would hope to go into business plowing, but nothing really large. Mainly, we'd be associated with our neighborhood coalition, and we could clear driveways of friends, family, and neighbors for a non incredibly large fee. So really, I want a residential plow, but I want the possibility to do something a bit more commercial if the opportunity arrises.

Like I said, right now, I have my cherokee, but I'm looking to buy a newer, (but no newer than a 2002) truck. Currently, I'm looking at a Jeep Liberty, but I also want something that I could put a plow on, and it should be a moderately good, "prosumer" (professional consumer :) ) model.

Really, I wouldn't expect to be doing too much work, like I said, I'd probably do maybe 3-6 driveways, at prices to at the minimum cover my expenses, but I want the possibility to move up in the world if I can.

Would the liberty be a good choice/can I even hook a good plow up to a liberty? And/or are there any better choices?

It is possible that I could keep my old cherokee and still get a new truck (it wouldn't be worth much trade-in anyway) and so, would it be possible to turn my cherokee into a moderately full-time plow vehicle?

2. SnowyPennsylvan

Also,

A place down the road from me sells Sno-Way plows. In checking out the Sno-Way website, I saw that it says they're compatible with Cherokees. Would this work for me, and how much would I end up paying?

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Have you ever driven a Liberty? Tiny Tiny Tiny Anyway, to my knowledge nobody makes a plow for a unibody vehicle. I was wanting one for my 98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 and I found that was the case. Regular Cherokees are a different story though.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My advice (and I say this kindly) - decide first whether you're going to plow only your own driveway or plow commercially. Quit half-stepping and "maybe this, maybe that". Forget "Prosumer" whatever that is. Either get a Personal Use plow like a Snowbear or Snowsport and put it on your car/suv for your own driveway (hence "personal use") or get a real plow truck and a commercial plow. To "grow", you'll need the latter.

Once you have decided those, you'll be able to make further decisions.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Ditto with Mick. Make up your mind about weither you want to plow more than yourself and buy a commercial grade truck if you are. Cherokee won't last long under commercial use. (gonna get flamed for that last statement but oh well...the truith hurts)

6. SnowyPennsylvan

I've always been pretty indecisive.

Anyways, I figure, that at most, I will do my driveway, plus 2-3 driveways of friends and neighbors. I might also end up doing the small parking lot of a friend who owns a small shop in town.

Right now, I'm looking at the Western Suburbanite and the Fisher Homesteader. Both seem to fit my purposes perfectly. I'm also looking at a possible Sno-Way plow, simply because I know a guy who owns a dealershp.

First of all, are they any good?

What would the limitations of these be?

Any idea what the price is?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

You can put a Fisher Homesteader or a Western Suburbanite on a Liberty however, the Cherokee is better suited for plowing. Id say keep the Cherokee and steer away from the Homesteader/Suburbanite these plows while OK are not up to par with other light duty plows like Snoway, Western SU 6'5" or Western LSX 7'2" or Blizzard 680LT or 720LT or Curtis 7'. Not too much of a difference in price either. Cherokees do very well when set up right, mine plows great, excellent for residential. Commercial: it would hold up to light use in VERY small lots but not an effiecent choice as others plow commercially with 8'-10' plows. No Plow is cheap, thats the fact in the matter. You do have to decide what you are going to plow because a $1,200 snowbear will work great for your drive but don't plan on any others. If you want to get into residential work and take money, look into some of the plows i mentioned above. The Cherokee is a competent residential truck. You will need to beef up the front end and add an aux transmission cooler if it does not alredy have one.

9. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I would go with a 2000-2002 cherokee. I have a western lsx on my 2000 cherokee and it has been great for the past 4 years. I put air bags up front in coils to help suspension. You could put a 6'6" thru western lsx 7'2".

10. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

If I were you I'd buy a good used Fisher MMI, Meyer EZ Mount or a Curtis Home Pro and install it on your current Jeep Cherokee, Don't waste your money on a homesteader or a a snowbear. If you buy a decent plow it will be suitable for a few driveways and small lot, just plow ith the storm and you'll be ok.

Jay

11. the_experience

the_experience Member

Just to clear something up that I keep reading, the XJ Cherokees (the boxy, smaller ones, not the fullsize) ARE unibody. They have subframes and sheetmetal looking framerails, but they are unibody. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. That said, I have seen several with plows.

Unibody Jeeps:
    XJ Cherokee
    ZJ Grand Cherokee
    WJ Grand Cherokee
    JK Grand Cherokee
    KJ Liberty
    MJ Comanche

Full frame Jeeps:
    CJ series
    FJ/FSJ Cherokees and Wagoneers
    J-trucks
    DJ 2wd Postal Jeeps
    YJ Wranglers
    TJ Wranglers
    JK Wranglers

I'm sure I missed a few in there, but those are the most common.

12. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

I seem to remember that there was a huge weak spot in their uni-body structure. Something that shows up under heavy off-road use, to the point where the doors become sloppy when opening and closing. I forget what the issue is?

Zack

13. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I would think you would get the same benefits of having a plow on the cherokee that owners of "typical" jeeps in that they are small and have great turning radius's. However, that being said it probably won't be the best option for full time heavy duty plowing. I would recomend buying a used 1/2 ton truck that is 4x4 and plow with that.

14. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Vehicle Suggestion!

I being an Ole GUY in reading You post & the Replies! I guess? I look at Plowing from a differant Angel? First I deside what? I want my equippment to DO?--Plow a lot of SNOW!--& how much? will it Cost Me?--now look at all the equipment available?--& weight each vehicles Cost & preformance agaist all the Equipment Choices?? all 4X4 vehicles!--& Snow Plowing Equipment available?? & considering?? a Good Reliable Low Milage Used 4X4 that never Plowed before! is the Best Option--& thus! having to Add the Price of Installing a Plow On IT?--from $1.000 Used to $4000 New--Plus the Price of the Used 4X4 truck!--I think? the above Plowing Package would be in the $15,000 range considering Todays Prices?--Pretty Steep? So as an Ole GUY! after reading all the Pros & Cons in referance to this Plowing Business & giving the BASICS of PLOWING some Heavy Thought?? I have Solved the Problem!--as a Plow Truck should Be short in Length--Powerful--& extra Heavy Duty-- & Inexspansive in Price!--Heres how I an Ole Guy solves all the above Plowing problems!--by using Ole Common Scense!--The Ultimate Plowing machine! Heres what I*D be looking at!-if I were YOUNG! at a Fraction of the Cost of the every body has One!--4X4 pick up w/ a Plow! I*D look at a Good Used Mobil Home Totor--a Singel Axle Diesel Powered Big Truck--as there Short in length--w/ more Power than You will ever Need--& over Kill in referance to Heavy Duty! as their a TANK compaired to any 4X4 on the market Today!- bar NONE--& No matter how much Snow You will ever Get? PLowing It will never be a Problem! as You Plow Trucks a TANK!--thats Campable of Plowing Heavy Snows where ALL the 4X4 pick ups reguardless of Make & Power? have to Quit!--while Your still GOING!--& You say! You don*t have a Plow on IT?? NOPE I Don*t Yet!!--Heres where I GO get My Plow! City & State Highway Auctions!--Hopefully? OFF the Same Make & Model Mobil Home Totor TRUCK I have!--Cost?-- $1,000 to $1,200 ought to Do It?--I may? have to Cuta few feet Off the Plow?--but I could Get Lucky & get One?--NOT needing any Cutting?--& Filling UP the Rear Body w/ Cement Blocks--as Most of their Bodies are made to Hold a lot of Cement Blocks! & ALL your Necessary Warning Lights are all ready Installed!--The Only Negitive Issue I can SEE! IS!--this Units sits pretty High--BIG TRUCK!--so PLowing Private Homes that have Tree branches over hanging their Drives!--would Be a Probem!--but other than THAT!--Down Time due to Repairs from over Working its Design--charactor--would be a thing of the Past!--as this Heavy Duty RIG would Plow Snow Forever?--compaired to all 4X4 pick Ups on the Market Today! & for an Investment of 1/5 th of the Price of a New 4X4 w/ a Plow--YOU would Have the BIG BAD Plowing Machine!--& You wouldn*t have to Worry about Blowinng UP your Tranny nor Adding things for More Power!--Bigger Exhuast--Bigger Turbos--Gages Ect--as YOU all ready have them All! & Air Brakes--so BIG Snow & Big parking lots wouln*t Scare You any More!--YES! thats what I*D look For! if? I were 25 Again--& I*D SMILE & Wave as I drove By every 4X4 pick Up Saw!--so Now You all Know!--Ole Tower--