1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vehicle rust (any way to slow it down)?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hubjeep, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I found the power steering lines on the 1992 Wrangler I have been plowing with for the past four years rusted through when I started it up for the season. Once the second line comes in it will be fixed, but I am concerned about rust on the rest of the vehicle.

Does anyone spray anything on the frame/underneth, like rust preventative or paint? Things like the brake lines seem to have little protection. What about spraying parts down with WD-40?

Any ideas?

2. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Hey johnny, Go to the dealer/paint shop/wherever and have them undercoat the truck. This will prevent further rusting, and paint over and repair the current rust. It is a cheap process to do, and it looks to me like thats just the ticket for your application.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I have has bad luck with rust proofing after that fact as I have seen it eat away under the coating. You need to try to stop of slow it down. I use a mixture of heavy oil and keroesene to spray my plows at start and a few times during season and also under trucks were ever rust is try to start. It works pretty good and slows down the cancer a lot.
  4. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

who in the hell wants to spray oil and kerosene all over their truck. haha come on man. First of all , i wouldnt light a match, and secondly, in a jeep the wiff of that is enough to knock you over. Anyways, go with the undercoating, just make sure it is a quality application. Just cause Tarkus got a bad undercoating, does that mean everyones will be that way?

Hmmmmm have a professionally sprayed paint cleanly over the bottom of your truck, or spray the whole rusty thing with oil and kerosene... no brainer here, :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

There is a product called Por-15 that can be painted over rust and stops it. It is very strong, about 20 times that of regular enamal. Be careful when applying as not to get it on your skin. It will not wash off and will take about a month to wear off.
  6. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

gummy bear techique

there is a product Made by CRC (corrosion block)it is available at ACE,autozone, marine etc.
    this is what your want treat the rust. it does dry to a waxy goo. but it stops the process for the winter. then layer under coat over that this creates a black semi hard goo that looks like paint. try it on your rusty diff cover first to perfect the process. us wd as the base coat if it is not rusted badly. spray an entire can of CRC on all the steal lines. this is my 4th jeep and I already started this process on the 2004!. 3m under coat,CRC $6.00 per can saving your jeep priceless. feel free to empty several cans into the frame. it smells until it dries.
  7. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Rustbullet.com The stuff of miracles.. :cool:
  8. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Hey, I spray my trucks with used oil/trans fluid/diesel every year. It is an old trick from a guy who has been plowing 40 years. If you really care about your truck, you gotta do what you gotta do. Yea, it smells for a day or so, but the results are great. Don't bash it till you try it. I found that it actually helps to reverse the effects of rust. If you have an older truck, with a good undercoating, then spraying is a no-brainer. Who wants to spend all that time trying to prep and paint the underside when you can spend 10 minutes and spray your truck?

JKOOPERS Senior Member

my father inlaw sells chemicals and he has a salt neutralizer and anti corrosive that stops and prevents rust. if interested email me at kustom-kare@sbcglobal.net. by the way it DRIES clear .
  10. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

I have used the 50% Kerosene 50% drain oil on our trucks for years along with a liberal amount of wd40 under thehood and door jambs,with no ill effects,the preservation is dramatic and its virtually free,as far as the smell I assure you rustproofing is much worse,the problem with rustproofing isthe creation of void spaces and bubbles and the blocking of drain holes.The oil mixture sprayed with a pump sprayer over gravel allowed to flow for a day or so and then a quick flush with water.It gives the chassis a "armorall" look and water simply beeds off,in the spring degrease and powerwash and it looks like new.
  11. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

POR-15 the best rust preventive ever made paint it on right over rust!
  12. btrussell

btrussell Member

I just bought this stuff called chasis saver. ITs supposed to be better than POR-15 however I haven't used it yet. Its supposed to stop rust permanently and it is its own primer and top coat. bought it from http://www.magnetpaints.com
  13. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Used to be the best Rust Bullet is now the best by far.. Same type stuff but better..I've used 2 gallons of the stuff.

JKOOPERS Senior Member

just curois what you guys are paying for a 5 gallon bucket of these anti corrosive products
  15. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

OK...here goes............

What is "undercoating" made of ??
    ***Answer Petroleum product

ie: used oil, kerosene etc.
  16. Tarkus

I have done it for 15 years and not burned one yet. You use kero to thin it a bit (about 10% tops) if it is cold and oil is thick and it (the kero) evaporates with time and leaves the heavier oil stock behind. It actually work quit nicely and it penetrates the cracks and seam were rust starts. My plow look nearly new and lack rust because of these regular treatments and a heavy one when stored in the spring.
  17. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies.

If I do nothing the rust will continue, much of it resides on the frame rails inside the engine compartment, and on the axle housings.

I may try a combination of things suggested. I have used POR-15 in the past with much success, in fact I painted the SnoWay mount and frame with it.

I will probably use POR-15 or look into the "Rust Bullet" suggested above for the frame, axle housings, and any rust under the body, then use kerosene - diesel? - oil mix for any other areas that are hard to get to.

-John :D
  18. Tarkus

Do not use a diesel/kero mix not thick enough. The heavier the oil the better and I use a compressor powered spray gun to do the job for me.
  19. hesko1

hesko1 Member

stop rust

Rustoleum Coal Tar Epoxy . It is a two part mix and costs less than half of por 15. I like the used oil trick also.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i thought about using the kero-waste oil idea .undercoting does stop rust just covers it up . i have done several old car restorations the car that were undercoated had no floors left in them due to moisture getting under the undercoating.