1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vehicle of choice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Italiano67, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I am currently stretched out with two 3/4 ton Chevrolet's ( 8' 2" Boss V plows and 8 ft. Snoway stainless spreaders). I was wondering if you had the choice of a new unit that could be flexible in plowing and running around town but also able to carry in salt what both of mine currently could carry what would you buy. I do a variety of accounts with extra subs as plow trucks but I salt all the accounts. Right now my two pickups are flying around plowing shoveling and salting their own accounts and then covering the subs jobs with salt. Not to mention running back to the shop to reload with salt. the capacity just isnt enough on a 1.5 yard sander. I hate to give up the flexibility of doing it all at each account with only one trip with one vehicle. Just dont want to have a dedicated salt truck because alot of the accounts take a minor amount of salt and is tight in alot of area with a big truck. I do salt one factory that takes at least 5 ton every event and if cold temps dictate around 7-8 ton. that means extra trips back to reload. Just wanted to get your opinions on setting up a little better for next year. thanks.

2. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I dont know if you do landscaping, but maybe a 1 ton dump with a under tailgate spreader? I dont know if that could hold all the salt, but it would cut down on trips.

3. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

In the summer I run a quad axle Kenworth dump. I only drive my newer 2500HD to work and occasionaly haul my Bobcat. Thats the problem in a nutshell, limited summer work and overextended with salting etc.

4. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I assume you have a CDL since you are driving the Kenworth. Check into an older County truck. I have found them for under $5k. For that amount you could afford to let it sit during the summer or sub it out for extra hauling. Most of them come with some kind of spreader and a belly blade.

5. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I had a decent 5 yard ex county dump truck with a tailgater sander. I had a big job for it for one year and sold it because no longer had the account. It was nice for big accounts but not mobile enough to service small accounts. I am thinking more along the lines of a 1 ton with either a tailgate sander or bigger Vbox. I guess there is no magic bullet with so many variables most notably never being sure of the accounts from year to year. My biggest problem is finding reliable motivated help. I do not have summer work for them and even with paying well it is tough.