1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vehicle Maintenance

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JMR, Dec 27, 2003.

1. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I am just curious. I am sure everybody out there with both new & old trucks is properly maintaining their vehicles. What type of maintenance are people doing. Fluid changes?. Transmission fluid, differentials, transfer cases, etc.. What other maintenance are people doing? How often? I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance and believe it has saved me a ton of money in breakdowns and major repairs.
  2. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

Greese every fitting possible! And I usually just keep an eye out for dying parts, and replace em before they are dead. Feel a little extra vibration, check it out. May be a tire, or could be that u-joint letting you know its time.
  3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

As stated above. Preventive maintenance is a money saver in the long run. Big time. Cost of frequent fluid changes etc. is no comparison to the cost of engines and trannys. Not to mention down time revenue loss and customers. That includes fluid change for plow. Get that water out. Di- electric grease those electrical connections.Etc.
  4. GpGuy84

GpGuy84 Member

Oil, Oil, Oil!!! You can never change it too often, and with the added stress of plowing your truck will thank you! :drinkup:
  5. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Don't forget those other stressed fluids. Transmission oil & filter, differential oil, transfer case fluid, etc. Yes engine oil is important, but so are all your other fluids. How often are you changing these?
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I check and top off all the fluids before every snow I roll around under the truck and look for leaks and loose stuff. I carry extra fluids, duct tape, repair links for chain, two fire extinguisher's,tools.
    Change the oil often,it's easy and cheap to do and every store has my PH8A filter.
    One place a lot of people probably miss checking are your transmission cooler lines. If you have rubber hoses with the screw type clamps look at them. Clamps can rust out (even stainless/chrome ones) then a cooler line can pop off.
    My c-6 transmission takes 12+ quarts with the cooler. I bought all that the local "Habib Mart" had when this happened to me. So check your clamps,see if the hose will move or is leaking. I have mine now double and triple clamped and carry extras.
    Use a screw driver or a nut driver to tighten. Not a ratchet or a little breaker bar cause they have too much torque and will destroy the clamp. Been there, did it.
  7. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Anything that requires fluid, even the wiper reservoir. You can't plow what you can't see.

Wash it, salt will eat your truck and your plow. Under coat it when the metal starts to show.

I just finished taking my seat out to weld the roller brackets that let it slide. One side was broke clean in two, and the other wasn't far from it.

Drive it at high speed for a while when you finish plowing to dry everything off, because water freezes, if it freezes inside something it CAN break it as it starts to thaw and expand.
  8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

As stated by MickiRig1, I check EVERYTHING before I go out plowing. Just makes sense.

SNOWPIMP Member

well I usually get my trucks out of fields and make em run then throw a blade on em! I never try to buy used plow trucks cause they are just that beat up used tired plow trucks I always end up doing every metal line under them Brakes,fuel, and transmission! Once all that is new I buy a big jug of never seize and smear it all over everything I never wanna work on again! If I do have to work on it again it comes apart but so far I haven't had problems after never seizing everything!
    I always change my plow oils yearly and neverseize all my couplers along with any and all electrical connections! So far I get about 6 yrs out of a $600.00 beater! I sometimes try to change the oil once a year! My biggest repairs are usually fan belts of some sort! In the spring a wash all the salt off and buy 2 gallons of W-D 40 I put it in a sprayer and spray EVERYTHING down! I only use my plow trucks to plow with if they don't make money they don't move!
  10. Bolts Indus.

Plowpimp: If someone does not have a need for a newer truck to use year round in their business then you are doing it the SMART way.
  11. Hamptonplow

Hamptonplow Member

Besides pre-storm checks and normal fluid changes after each plow season I flush transmission fluid and change filter, change oil in differentials, and inspect everything.
  12. Bolts Indus.

Plowpimp: I thought that the wd 40 idea was mine. I guess great minds think alike and fools seldom differ.
  13. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

In addition to the fluids in everything from front to back I also do a little maintenance on the batteries. After plowing I will put a battery charger on my truck for a few hours to bring them up to full charge. I have dual batteries but just the old stock alternator. I find that the batteries will take a quite a bit of charge after running the plow motor, headlights, work lights and beacon for several hours. I like leaving the truck fully charged since it sits outside in some real cold weather(-23 right now). Speaking of cold weather be sure to test your anti-freeze every fall for the freeze point.

SNOWPIMP Member

I stole the Idea from a friend of mine that tows for an Rv dealer he says that they coat the whole undercarriages on them since they sometimes sit for 3 yrs before getting sold!