1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vehicle Insurance?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by erkoehler, Sep 25, 2008.

1. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Do you guys that sub contract add any additional insurance to your trucks? This will be my first year plowing, and am curious what everyone else does with their insurance.

2. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

If you are plowing for $, then I would defiantly get commercial ins.

3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

What is everyone paying for insurance wise?

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You are a contractor...
    You are only a sub-contractor if your Co is working for an other Co.
    Ins is still the same.
    If a contractor covers your ins (puts you on his policy) you are an employee.;)

You need to carry commercial vehicle INs .
    In the policy snowplowing needs to be listed.

Cost of INS depends on your record, credit rating. vehicle, your risk, level of coverage. and maney other factors.

call a ins Co like "Auto Owners" and get a quote

Get at least 1million in coverage preferably 2.

next do you have a business. You know an LLC. or some thing similar?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  5. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

llc is the best way to go if you dont wanna lose your house or everything else you own if you get sued and dont have insurance

6. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

'bout $100 per day :dizzy:

7. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I called my insurance agent last year and asked him about this. He said as long as I wasn't doing it for money I'd be fine. I told him that I was obviously going to be charging money for it and wanted to make sure I had the proper coverage. He then said that he meant as long as I wasn't doing it a lot, like my primary source of income, they would cover me if something happened. I didn't trust that too much. We were just talking about doing some residential driveways though. I'm thinking about calling a different agent and seeing about getting some kind of coverage, especially if this year is going to be like last. I'd do some roof shoveling too, well I wouldn't but this kid who works for me on my house would.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You need to find a different insurance agent. When you need that one to stand behind you (or for you), he'll be so far behind you that you won't be able to see him. Don't believe me? Tell him to put what he says in writing. Be sure to have "roof shoveling" on your policy. Whole different category from snow plowing. The rates for the roof are way higher than plowing. "The rates go up more the further the feet leave the ground". Typically, roofing companies will provide roof shoveling since they already have insurance.