1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vehicle headlamp connector

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TTBoy77, Nov 18, 2008.

1. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

anyone know where the vehicle headlamp connectors are on my 98k2500? i am in the process of trying to wire it up for my western plow and can't find the damn connectors!!!:angry: i followed the harness which contains the headlamp connectors and can't foind anything else!?!?!? I looked over the whole harness and can't find where it is supposed to split. I followed it from the firewall all the way through the driver's side to the passenger side and nothing!! any help is much appreciated!:cry:

I have the HB3/HB4 lights.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I am assuming you mean the factory headlight plugs.... if so, you have to pull the grill to get to them, then unbolt the headlight assembly.... Sucks....

3. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

Yes, i mean the factory plugs. I followed the harness along the grill and didn't see or feel any. R U sure that they are back there?? I already have the bumper off. Just to clarify, I got at all the plugs that go to the back of the headlamps. I am looking for the two connectors that would basically make the headlamp harness separate from the rest of the vehicle harness.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Ok, that one I am not sure of where it is or if it even exists.... But question for ya, why do you need it?

What kind of western plow is it?

5. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

7'6" Uni-mount with a 9 pin and a 61716 adapter. According to all the info I have found on this site and Western's, my adapter has to plug in to these two connectors to complete the circuit and therefore make the headlights operational. I don't know but this is giving me a head ache:realmad:

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'm afraid your gonna feel a little embarrassed after this one...:D

They're right on the BACK OF THE HEADLIGHTS. You unplug the headlights...and then your plow plug in harness tee's in between the trucks headlight harness and the headlight bulbs themselves.

7. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

Forgive me B&B but I don't understand:confused:. If I plug the LTBL/R plug into the back of the high beam, and plug the DKBL/O plug into the back of the low beam, I still have two plugs that aren't plugged into anything else. One longer, 2 pin with a LTBL/Y and a longer 2 pin with LTBL/G wires. Where do these two go? At the bottom right of page 57 of the attached site is the point in question. I am however running a cab command.

http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/22373.07_110108_for_Web.pdf

Sorry, I don't know how to direct you to the right page...

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

1) You disconnect all four of the factory light plugs from the rear of the bulbs

2) You then plug in the org/drk blue and the Lt blue/red into their respective (hi & low beam) bulbs on the driver side.

3) Then your drk blu/org and your red/drk blue plug into the passenger side bulbs.

4) You then connect your yellow/drk blu into the driver side connectors that were originally plugged into the driver side head light bulbs. Same with your grn/Lt blue for the low beam.

In other words you unplug all four connectors from all the bulbs and only tie your plow harness into the driver side ones where it's labeled on the diagram "from vehicle headlamp connector". Those are your dr side original head light bulb plugs.

You leave the factory connectors unplugged on the passenger side. Thats why they're not shown in the diagram.

Its much simpler than it sounds...

9. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

10. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

B&B beat me to the response, but thats ok, ya get used to it lol. glad you got it now, your not the only one who has over thought something.

Good luck.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Happy to help. :waving:

Sometimes all you need is just a slight guidance in direction and then your good to go.

We all have our off days, brain lockups, duh's, fubars, or whatever you like to refer to them as...no different here on this end. We are human. :waving:

12. mcginner

mcginner Junior Member

You don't have to pull the grill out to get to the light plug ends. You can get to the low beam through a hole in the rad support but have to remove the battery on the passenger side and if you have dual batteries on both sides.

You can get access to the light by removing the turn signal light and reaching up and unplug the connector or remove the bulb. But it is really tight on the high beam bulbs.

13. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

very true, if you have small hands and arms.... I find it easier to remove the grill, I got it down to about 3 minutes to pull mine...

14. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

3 minutes? You work slow. :D I completely agree that its much less trouble in the long run to just pop the grill out and get totally unrestricted access. Just be sure to pull the clips on each wingtip between the headlight & turn signals before pulling the middle or you'll hear an expensive little cracking sound . (Don't ask how I know... :blush2:)

15. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Thats why it takes me three minutes ;)

16. mcginner

mcginner Junior Member

I have to go through the turn signal lights on my tow truck because I have a push bumper on the front of it and it wraps around the headlamps and grille

17. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

COME ON tell us how you know....!!!!!!!!

18. cnydreamr

cnydreamr Junior Member

is the '98 a work truck? the silverado's have headlight disconnect bolts thru the top of the rad support. two bolts per headlight, pretty easy from top