1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vehicle Fire

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 2ExploreSnow, Dec 30, 2013.

1. 2ExploreSnow

2ExploreSnow Member

First off, Happy New Year!!

Now, let this just be a gentle reminder to check one's insurance policy for equipment, at least in regards to Fire ins. Not telling anyone to break budget over it, of course... although most policies it is a small % increase.

Why do I mention this, well early this morning, my Yukon XL (a GMC suburban) ignited and burnt to the ground. Nothing was plugged into it either internal or external -- it's has a Canadian package with metric scale dash and block heater. That includes no charger cords, gps, phone etc...

I realize this isn't a plow truck, but the core of the machine is a 1/2 ton pickup truck of which many here use (or used).

The fire dpt came quickly despite slushy roads and put it out but not before total burn... and that included some heavy winter gear (coveralls, jackets), gps, EZ Pass, and some little stuff. I just got the vehicle a few weeks ago and drove it half-way across country as well as a few trips to NJ. No problems... none.

Vehicle was in great shape for a 2000 with ~ 145k miles and little rust. Fire started under hood. We suspect electrical, also considered possible rodent though I'm skeptical. It was in cold temps and hadn't been driven in 2 days. We live out in country and it was outside so house is OK.

I'll ask if anyone knows of any others where this happened ( I have heard of a few) ... or any links to articles. Thanks
  2. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I know GM had a recall on this type vehicle with heated windshield washers. I do not remember the year of the vehicle I had at the time though.