1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vehicle considerations - which has best mpg for plowing a small lot?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Plow2986, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Plow2986

Plow2986 Junior Member
    from NJ

I am looking for an inexpensive plow vehicle that will get great gas mileage. I plan to use this for a small parking lot, and daily driver (which is why I need good mpg). I have looked and it seems the Ranger from 94-95 came in 4 cyl with 4wd. Will this be fine for plowing? I would get 28mpg. My budget is $3000 for a truck and I'm sure diesels are out of that. Any other suggestions? 1990 Jeep Cherokees supposedly get the best mpg (~20mpg) of all non-diesel Jeeps, so I'm looking at those too. Maybe I should consider a 4 cyl Wrangler? This is a small parking lot so I'm not looking for anything heavy duty. I don't plan to make money on this thing, just take care of the parking lot to our family store.
  2. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Finding a 90's ranger and fitting it with a plow for $3,000 is a tall order. You might consider buying something dedicated to plowing the lot for $800-2000 bucks. Having a daily driver plow rig that gets 20mpg for $3,000 is kind of having your cake and eating it too. I think you could find a nice mid 90's chevy truck with a plow for 3-4K tho. An older Toyota pickup pre-89 would make a good plow rig and would get decent mileage: 14-20mpg.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You don't burn that much gas plowing ,it's the gas you use going from lot to lot.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

wanting great MPG's and plowing arent a good combination.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

plow trucks are more like boats. Its not MPG its GPH, gallons per hour.