1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vehicle and plow advice needed....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by VTDave, Mar 1, 2011.

1. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

I do two driveways - mine (steep 1200ft w/ turns) and a neighbors (500 ft straight shot).

My rig needs to provide me with reliable transportation to/from work, 20 miles round trip. In the past, I've settled for a Tacoma with a Snowbear plow because it does 90% of what I need. (Flame away!):gunsfiring:

I've seen the light. My setup doesn't cut it in demanding situations like dense snow, moving back snowbanks, freeze/thaw stuff. I need to keep these driveways clear and plowed wide.

What would you recommend for:
    1. Truck - reliable transportation, but good for occasional but demanding residential plowing.
    2. Plow - easy mount/dismount, can handle moving snowbanks.

There's no room in the driveway for an extra vehicle, so this truck will be my plow and daily driver in winter. (I have a Mustang for the summer!)

I'm hoping to spend no more than $15k, so please don't tell me to get a 2011 2500HD diesel.

Specific areas to discuss: 3/4 ton vs 1/2 ton w/ timbrens. Model years to avoid, etc. (For instance, everyone with a 6.0L chevy gasser seems to be fixing stuff left and right, in addition to getting 10mpg hwy.)

Thanks for your advice guys.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

for what your doing a half ton would be fine. id also suggest a 7.5 ft plow. fisher western boss most plows go on and off pretty easy now a days just make sure you have good dealer support in case anything goes wrong. you could also find a nice used plow on craigslist or something like that as well. good luck
  3. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

Thanks, Stihl Guy. I'm assuming the best way to go is buy a southern truck (less rust, not plowed), and then toss a used plow on it. Sound about right?

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

for 15k you can buy a pretty nice half ton...this spring a paid 16,300 for a 2005 2500HD with plow package and less than 50k miles. a half ton will be cheaper and you can find one around you for a good price. If you want a real clean truck you can go for a southern truck or you can just buy one thats in good shape and make sure you have your mechanic look it over to make sure its in good shape all around
  5. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

Thanks. Sounds like I'll be looking for a Silverado 1500 or F150 this spring...
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

try the search button
    all your questions have been asked and answered ALOT of times
    and for 16K I will sell you my 04 F250 with a brand new Boss V blade
  7. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

What's the issue with a Chevy 6.0L??? I don't really know of too many problems with them. I like mine.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i havnt had any problems with mine either except a tiny manifold leak.
  9. zabMasonry

zabMasonry Senior Member
    from vt

Dave, where are you located?

have you considered a tractor with a blade and/or blower?

Sounds like you already have a perfectly good tacoma, and you could go the tractor route for well within your budget.