1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vee Pro 8000 worked great

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by flykelley, Dec 1, 2004.

1. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Ok Guys
    I just got back from salting. Spread 1.5 yds of salt,at first the feed was kind of slow. I played with the setting. The salt was damp hell it was wet I need to find a new supplier that has dry salt.
    Over all the spreader worked well. It does tend to throw more salt to the drivers side. I can't compare this to a real vbox but I'm happy so far.

Regards Mike

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Lucky for you. I though I was going to salt last night, did not end up doing it till this morning. I had 150 lbs of salt left in my tail gate hoper. I was like concrete in the morning :cry:

3. flykelley

Grass buster
    that sucks. They say it will get hard and you have to break it out. I empty mine after each event and wash it and oil it. I use corrosion x on all the moving parts. Hopefully we will get some more snow soon.

Regards Mike

4. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

As for the HARD salt. Just wet it down and clean it out. Without using any water you are just beatin a rock.

As for the VEE PRO. Gald to hear your 1st use went great. However you have already stated one of the long list of issues and that is wet salt. BTW how did you like the way all the salt overflows in the shallow end of the spreader while loading??

Consider this for a second, the stated the Vee Pro can spreader commercail salt along with spreader salt and SAND mix. Is sand always dry? What do you think wet sand and salt would have done in the Vee Pro.

Apply this as a measure for everything they told you the Vee Pro can do and you will have an idea of what you are dealing with.

If you are happy not wait until you load 1.5 yards of salt and a chunk of dry salt of a rock get stuck on the auger after using about .25 yards. You might want to keep a shovel in the truck just in case.

I should add I post this after having ran well over 150 tons in one season VIA a Vee Pro 8000. I use three different supplier, indoor and outdoor storage. While using the Vee Pro I keep a shovel and a long stick in the truck at all time. If it was really snowing and I had a lot of work I keep a second person in the truck too. He use the shovel and stick in the Vee Pro while I drove. The ONLY thing the Vee Pro spreader without fail was BAGGED rock salt and BAGGED Cal. Chor. or BAGGED blended salt.

Good luck.

5. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I have an old 1993 wester metal tailgate spreader. Do any of you put any thing on it to help the salt slide out easier?

6. :drinkup: :eek: congrats on using your veepro and not having a problem, first person ive heard of with such a case! also may i recommens taking a :gunsfiring: with you for later in the season.

7. flykelley

I do carry my gun at all times when I'm out plowing or salting. I just hope I don't have to use it on the spreader. :gunsfiring:

Regards Mike

8. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Just wait for one of those nights when the salt is wet and it is really cold - the salt will turn into a block. Mine worked well when I first got it too. I don't want to discourage you, but that thing is full of empty promises if anything.

9. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Andy,

I know what you mean about frozen salt in the V8000 BUT have you not had salt freeze in a conventional steel/stainless steel V box also? I HAVE.

This is how we learn, we now do not allow wet salt to remain in our V-Boxes (V8000 included) if we know the temps will drop to certain degrees for fear of freezing.

The V8000 is a good salt spreader. (Note that I did not say V-Box) The design is solid, salt feed is on the slow side but it does exactly what it states it should......... NO MORE.

I would recommend the V8000 spreader. By the way, I have the 2 vibrator arrangement on mine.

ChicagoSnow

10. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Vee-Pro Vibrators

The two vibrator arrangement on the Vee-Pro is a great idea. Karrier Company makes the Z-200 vibrator. Karrier sells the High Performance Sure-Flow Z-200 vibrator kit for only $239. Right now you get free shipping anywhere in North America. Here'a link to their website: http://www.karrierco.com/cgi-bin/sh...start=0&template=Templates\SearchResult1.html or you can call them at 800-709-4434.

Bob Church

11. JTS Landscaping

JTS Landscaping Member

i was talking to a guy that i got a tailgate spreader from and he loves it been running one for 3 yrs now he said he has had no problems with at all never had to replace anything. he has ran bulk and bagged salt threw it.

12. JTS, you are right, their tailgate spreaders seem to be running great, its their vee pro hoppers which are the major problems!