1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vee Plow question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jaclawn, Feb 28, 2002.

1. jaclawn

jaclawn Member

We just bought a new truck, and ordered a Fisher EZ-V plow for it. Fisher had the best dealer support of any manafactuer that offered a V plow.

BEing our first trip edge, as well as our first Vee, a question about the shoes. We always ran without then on full trip plows, but will we need them on this plow?

BTW- We are now officially guaranteed to get no more snow this winter, seeing that we made this purchase!

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i have a fisher 8 ft straight plow and ive never run plow shoes. i think it scrapes a lot better without them. even though you have a V plow and i have a straight blade, i dont see a reason why you couldnt run without them. maybe somebody with a V can verify that.

3. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

By all means keep the shoes, they're great for holding down empty bags of salt in the BACK of the truck. Tried them on my ez-v a couple of times on dirt, didn't really help. Have NEVER used them on pavement, in 5 years!

Bill

4. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

ok i have the fisher V plow and i leave the shoes just to prevent blade wear. but i dont see a reason anything should be hurt by taking them off. Now i dunno if the modles have changed at all my plow is a few years old.

5. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

They really are not necessary I think if you have a new edge IMO.

6. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I left them on for the first couple storms, mainly b/c my dad wanted me to leave them on... as soon as he wasn't looking I took them off and thew them in the barn and that's where they will stay just like all the others I've had over the years. And don't worry about chasing away the snow... I took care of that in November when I got my new truck and V-Plow.

7. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I have never used shoes on my V or straight. Most of the time we have removed them completely. The guys at the dealers usually set them up with the shoes down and about 1/2 inch of air between the cutting edge and the ground, which I just cant understand.

However, I just picked up our new 2002 Ford with an EZ-V Fisher, our first, and I was glad to see it was set up properly, with the edge firmly on the ground.

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

All i use them for is for holding down tarps,and door stops.

9. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

if you can keep them on your vee. i have several western vee's . i made the mistake of plowing with the shoes off .it does plow better with out them.but the center rubber & steel brackets wear faster than normal.with a straight blade it it sits more level than the vee..when you have to replace your cutting edges. if you can .go to a steel place with your blade and have them cut new pieces for you. all you have to do is drill it out . you will save a lot of money.

10. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

John & Jaclawn

I make plow dollies out of them. A friend seen mine & brought his over for me to make some for him & there was seaweed on them :D . Because he used them for boat anchors :D

If you use them for plowing becareful when backdraging as I've had to repaired some blades for friends, as they would hook the shoe over the end of a curb or something & start backing up.

View attachment right dolly.jpg

11. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Great idea Ohiosnow!!!

12. John DiMartino

Ohio snow,you do nice work,one of the reasons i pull my shoes off,is so i can backdrag with hooking.Also since i used to run Fishers only,I was well aware of what shoes do to the moldboard after one hard trip,they bend the moldboard forwrd from the back.

13. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

John

Yea, I meant that for JACLAWN, as 99% of experienced plowers don't use shoes ;) .

If you want to see more pics look under section- Welding & Fabricating -- "Built my onw Dollies"

14. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

John D, I was interested in reading your post about shoes bending the moldboard from the backside of a Fisher plow. I have had Fisher plows on all the trucks I have plowed with for 24 years and the only time I ever saw this happen was on my friends truck. He picked up his new Fisher plow from the shop and adjusted the height of the shoes so the blade would scrape the road. He came to me after a storm to ask me why he had a dent in the moldboard. Instead of removing the extra spacers and tucking them away in his glove box he stored them ontop of the shoe under the clevis pin so when the edge tripped the shoe could not slide down and it put a dent in the moldboard from the back. If you have found another reason for this to happen I would be very interested in hearing about it becuase I use shoes all the time and would want to fix this problem before it happens to one of my plows. I do roadways on a college campus and I was going through cutting edges like crazy cause we have to scrape the roads even if we get an inch. I found that using shoes gives me alot more life out of a cutting edge.

15. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

I have a 97 Boss 9'2 vplow. I must agree that the plow has been very reliable. I'm happy with the controls but not happy with lack of a center hard plastic cone(the last yr. Boss didn't manufacture this part) resulting leaving a 2in. line of snow on each pass!! The dealer told me that this was no big deal! After a long and loud discussion he found out that Boss did have a kit. that would correct this problem. I had it installed, but it still leaves a small line on every pass!(Very frustrating to me) and it only cost me an extra $100.oo

Last edited: Mar 6, 2002
  16. John DiMartino

Gordyo,I dont know why they hit the moldboard,I seen it happen to a friends plow,and ive seen many others,in lots that had the same damage.In all honesty, i didnt go looking for what caused it,because i dont run shoes.It was obviously the shoes that hit the moldboard.I didnt see any damage to the spring brackets,or any evidence that it overextended the trip edge.If I plowed roads,id likely use them too,I could see them doubling the life of your edges.I would run an extra chunk of metal over the edge on the outside foot of the balde too,to cut down on the wear on the outsides of the blade.Id be interested to see how a urethane edge held up in those conditions.

17. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

John D. Thanks for the reply. Thinking about this a little bit more, it dawned on me that one of the reasons that I don't have a problem running shoes is because my roads are always salt/sanded when the snow first hits because of the traffic on campus, so the snow is always loose and the shoes won't ride up on packed snow, unlike most private driveways were you plow them then salt/sand. I do have driveways on campus but they too get salted when the storm first hits, I was told that I have to give the driveways of the college's private homes the same level of service as I would give the campus roads.

PS. I like the pictures of your equipment

www.gordon.edu/campus/physplant/snow/Equipment.html

Last edited: Mar 7, 2002
  18. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Let me weigh in on this. I have a Fisher and have tried to run with shoes. Usually only on gravel though I've started to figure this out too. The shoes will bend the crap out of your moldboard, even with the spacer in the glove box. Just no clearance! The trip edge is a wonderful thing . Push and push and leave no snow. I use my shoes to hold down salt bags too:)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2002