1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

VEE blade vs straight blade plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by F350plowing, Oct 15, 2009.

1. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

Is the VEE blade better than a straight blade? and why?

2. B.Bells

B.Bells Senior Member

I'd say depends on where you live and the conditions you get most of the time. I LOVE straight blades. can do alot with them at the same time has a down fall compared to the v-plow, but the v-plow can have its own issues. its personal preference mostly IMO

3. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

one glaring advantage of the straight blade would be simplicity. fewer fragile parts to fail.

on the other hand, the only way to contain snow and actually transport it is with a vee. a vee will also push thru deep drifts that a straight blade wouldnt touch...

my take? for all around versatilty...Id rather have the vee with a straight blade backup :D

4. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

i was thinking the vee for the scoop position more than the vee position

5. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

absolutely, thats why i want one :)

6. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

had a v but went back to a straight blade (i keep the v on a backup truck)

i didnt like how it wouldnt do a perfect clean sweep, left a smear of snow on one side or the other, unless i had it in full scoop, but even then i hated it cause of the extra work to straighten it out and push against and over a curb...it did help out in apt. complexes where id be trying to scoop away from rows of cars, but on wide open lots, much faster w a straight blade

its mostly cause my conditions are a lot different than anywhere else....if southeast pa was battered by 8" + storms more often, im sure id only have v plows as opposed to straight blades

7. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

I run 9 trucks, had up 12 at one time, got my first v-blade in 2001, got a western v, loved the advantage with the v, like plowing thru 5'high drifts, and saving time with the scoop mode, had electrial problems with the western though, In the past 4 years got 3 new boss v-blades and just love them, no real problems, easy on and off. and have a dealer in the area that is open during storms all night long if there is a need for help. If you have dual wheels, make sure you get a big enough one so the tires aren't cutting the snow bank.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Love my V plow. When my truck went down a few years ago I used my friends truck with the straight blade I actually forgot how to plow with one.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Every situation is differant. IMO a Vee blade is the best for a "One Man Band" versitile and much more effecent for clean up.
    If all you do is straight "drag and push" drives a rear plow or Hiniker "C" blade would be the best choice.
    If you are sub contracting and working only in big lots a straight blade will work just fine. Straight blades are the simplist to use maintian and repair, many people have pushed snow in all conditions and all types of jobs very successfully for many years with nothing fancier then a standard straight blade.

10. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Our 8.6" straight blade moves far more snow on a standard parking lot with the turkey wings installed than this POS problem plauged V plow ever thought of. The V is nice, for the cool factor since other guys with straight blades always say they want one, but when i go to replace this one, i'll be getting another straight blade with expandalble wings instead...you make the plow realy small when it's in V mode/containtment mode so your losing 2' per pass....whereas the straight blade we run with turkey wings...essentially box plow is the full 8'6" and captures much more snow than the V in scoop mode.

Glad i got to use the V plow, but like i said, for the lots that we have i wont be buying another one ever again.

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Like Basher said, every situation is different. I love my V and worth every penny. Does it justify the price difference?- In my situation it does, with plowing smaller lots with lots of turns and no where to really put the snow. I like the fact it piles snow a bit higher in these small lots. One other thing, I like the stainless steel factor. I dont need to worry about rust which leads to failing parts after a while.

12. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

What kinda plow are you using? I'm interested in upgrading and had almost decided on a vee....but the trail left from a vee would drive me crazy...I was under the impression that the Boss plows had addressed this problem.

13. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Mines a western, the older uni mount that i've had to have both angle cylinders replaced, lift cylinder rebuilt/repacked, replaced the rubber beetween the wings to stop snow from going between them on a push, wiring harness on truck replaced, wiring harness on plow replaced, controller replaced, and even at that i still have to get out at least 1-3 times per storm and jiggle the connections between plow and truck or use a small screwdriver and open the male ends a bit for better contact...even though both sides were brand spanking new last season because i got tired of doing just this....i smear it full of plenty of dielectric grease to try and keep moisture out, plows are kept inside during the summer with cylinders in closed position.

Meanwhile the old uni mount straight blade just keeps on pushing snow without issue which increases productivity too....but we've used both trucks seperately on a H shapped parking lot we had that we were required to place snow in one section only so ALL the snow had to be moved and placed.....the stright blade with turkey wings was on average 20 minutes faster overall than the V blade i run on my personal truck..mainly due to the fact the straight blad with box ends on it is wider overall and has better containment. I'm still in debating mode of putting pro wings or something similar on my V plow to make it more effeicent since when in scoop mode the overall width is just too narrow for cleaning up windrows/spill over on longer runs...and does'nt compare to the straight blade with turkey wings.

14. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

enlighten me, got any pictures of these "turkey wings" :)

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Good to see I was 'cool' back in '90 when I got my first V-plow. And all those darn moving parts that constantly broke and didn't allow me to be at least 25% more efficient than a straight blade.

And then it's really cool how when you're traveling in the V position so much weight is taken off the front axle because the plow doesn't hang out so far.

Or how I can travel down the road legally with a V when you can't with an 8.6' plow with wings.

So I agree, it would be silly to get a V over a regular straight blade, unless you want to be legal, be more efficient, and you don't care about the cool factor.

I'm sure that's why all plow manufacturers have V plows in their lineups, so they can sell to the cool crowd. :rolleyes:

16. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Couldn't agree more on the V taking the weight off the front axle. I gotta have that cool factor though...:rolleyes: Going to have to look into that at SIMA next year.:cool:

17. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

A lot of people forget one amazing feature that's built right into most of today's Vee plows.

If you watch the wings as they move forward from the Vee position or back from scoop, the moldboards will actually FORM A STRAIGHT BLADE!

If (This takes a lot of practice) you take your hand OFF the controller at the right moment, the plow will actually STAY STRAIGHT! And you can plow with it!

WHOOOAAA!!:dizzy: I know, right?

18. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Before I owned a V plow I talked like "IHI". I'll neve buy another straight blade after running a V for a full year. We run 4-5 trucks, the rest having straight blades and I can out perform all the straight blade trucks by 30% or so. The straights all have wings too. V's don't need to be fully scooped as many of you refer to which would cause a loss of width. You can have it at any degee of scoop and move a bunch of snow. When I see guys bashing V''s and saying they can move moresnow with their straight blade and pro wings I think its humorous

19. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

wait, so you're telling me that a "vee" plow can also be a straight plow........no way! i thought you could only use it in the scoop position and lose 2'. guess if i was cool enough to use a vee plow, i'd know that, oh wait, I do, and i'd never go back, the myths about v's just arent true anymore. boss it up!

20. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

thats a really good point, I very often do that on 1'' plows, just barely put it in the scoop