1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

VBX spreader gear oil freezing

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by alpine779, Dec 13, 2013.

1. alpine779

alpine779 Member

Just a quick note on this guys if it hasn't been posted and any of you are experiencing similar problems. We leave our spreader outside in the truck overnight and its been frigid lately. We have been experiencing feeder jams, spinner jams etc. , bring truck in, look it over nothing stuck or froze in hopper and everything appears fine. Take it out and it starts working again. This goes on for a couple more plowing events and I talk to customer service at boss. They quickly informed me that there have been a small number of issues with guys like myself who leave there spreaders outside in colder climates and the gear oil in the motor is actually freezing. So Boss called my local dealer gave them the low down on a new updated weight oil for the spreader motor and I should be back on the road shortly. Thanks for the speedy service and customer support Boss!

Cheers

2. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Looking at getting one of these spreaders. Any other problems at all?

Anything you love about it and couldn't live without?

3. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Love mine.. Buy the conveyor not the auger...
    Love everything about it..
    I didnt install the inverted V and had a little issue, but with that in the hopper no issues..

4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

why not buy the auger?

5. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

I was thinking conveyor. x2 as to why?

6. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I bought the auger unit and love it there's no mess from the chain and no adjustment and the spread pattern is great

7. alpine779

alpine779 Member

Before we bought our unit I touched base with boss and asked them auger vs conveyor. They suggested conveyor as we do not cover our pickled (salt/sand mix) sand and it is always wet and heavy and exposed to the elements. We were going to get the auger but I guess the conveyor is tougher? I'm not sure.
    As far as what we love and don't, well we have only run maybe 50yds of material through it and the biggest issue was the gear oil which is to be fixed as of tomorrow.
    We ordered the dual vibrators and inverted v baffle. Love the back up lights, vibrators work awesome, swing-away/removable /adjustable spinner is quite nice, the auto dump/feed button on back is nice feature as well. If it wasn't for the gear oil then we would have had zero down time so far.

8. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

I thought Boss made a tray to avoid the material spilling from the conveyor? How is the spread pattern from the spinner? Even? Conveyor guys: Do You notice any "Surges" of product while spreading?

9. alpine779

alpine779 Member

There is a tray to catch any spilled material. The only material in the bed of my truck is from poor aim from the loader operator. Which reminds me that I do wish they had designed some sort of rubber/plastic sheet of the side so it doesn't fill the bed up.
    The sander spreads quite evenly and nice, if there is some surging its minor enough that it doesn't bother me for my applications.

10. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Good to know, thanks. I looked at a buddies tgs800 but wasn't real happy with the spinner distribution. Seemed real heavy on one side. Different beast I know, but wanted to make sure it wasn't a "boss" thing.

11. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

so what oil are you guys using to replace the gearbox oil in back? doesn't say anywhere, we have two vbxs almost unusable when its zero out a couple of mornings :( wasn't all the salt fault either.

12. Just bring it to any boss dealer and tell them

13. alpine779

alpine779 Member

Yup just bring it to dealer and they'll fix ya up free o charge. Was warranty on mine.