1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vbox with tailgate down

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jdilliplane1, Dec 19, 2012.

1. jdilliplane1

jdilliplane1 Senior Member

Does anyone by chance run their Vbox with the tailgate down? My truck is an 04 F250 crew shortbed. Spreader fits without tailgate, but I can keep my toolbox for things if I leave the tailgate on. Not sure if the weight will snap the tailgate cables or what. Any ideas guts? Also it's a 2 yard saltdogg poly vbox

2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

I had to build the said 2x6 frame and that frame sets the spreader box back about 3 feet which sets the chute to clear the rear bumper. I pop wheelies when fully loaded with out the blade on even with Roadmaster leaf helpers .You may have to shorten or mod your wooden frame for your 6' bed .

JD, Make sure you strap that bad boy down securely with real strap binders. I send one up and over the box itself to steel fasteners I had to fab myself inside the bed .
    You can use the straps they supply you to secure the spreader forward into the front 2 oem bed hooks in the corners, dont strap away towards the rear like the directions ask you to do .There is absolutely no reason for that if it is ratcheted forward against your fabricated wood frame.

I seen one on the ground fully loaded last year. It wasnt a pretty sight and I couldnt help him w/o a loader or skidsteer.

To answer your question , remove your gate because them cables will snap like string .

I believe they have redesigned the 2011-12 models more weight distribution friendly to be set over the rear axle . I wouldn't transport a load more than 30-35 mph , just because of the fact that if you get into a head-on , your chances of survival are very slim . The frame will splinter and you become one with your spreader . I feel they should only be used in a steel body with a headache wall or steel screen rack .

You'll also notice if you use your bed rail holes they begin stretching like cardboard ,crinkling and kinking . As you can see ,I originally should have used the oem bed hooks towards the front corners .
    I also modded the auger chokers to about 90% open . Yea , I gotta see yours loaded on a short bed . Is it new ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  3. Spool it up

4. Spool it up

This should really be posted in SaltDogg or Spreaders.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

That light on the back is cool! What is it and how did you mount that?

6. Spool it up

Just fished the wiring thru the casing and 4 phillip screws .

That there is a whelen 900 Linear Super LED . I f you've ever seen a fire truck or ambulance , they usually have 10-15 of them front sides and rear.

You can get it with any color lenses or Diode. OR mix n match half n half custom made from whelen . I chose red diodes with a clear lense. Everybodys got amber .

It will literally blind you when behind it at nite.you really have to stay back or get the old tunnel vision effect (dizziness). Probably not legal for me to use on the street but purrrfectly legal on private property.

Many patterns available with a momentary switch (sold separately). Very very low draw, and I sync it with 4 Clear Whelen Vertex's thru my headlamps and reverse. Steady burn is one of the patterns which is sick . It looks like a laser of red lite in dark areas .

I really need to be seen when backing up 100-200 x a storm , fatigue sets in .
    Friends say I can be seen from space on google earth:laughing:

90a00far.jpg

900seriesfull.jpg

SuperLED_600-700-900_Lightheads-1all3.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  7. M & D LAWN

M & D LAWN Senior Member

Did you flip over the baffles over the auger?

8. Spool it up

yep , flows alot faster and less jambing .