1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vbox starting problems

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by NickyBombs, Dec 9, 2005.

1. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

Hey guys,
    Does anyone have any ideas on what to use to make gas vbox engines turn over quicker. It seems to start a lot harder when it gets cold out. It starts eventually but after alot of swearing:bluebounc .
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What kind of engine do you have? Have you tried ether (starting fluid)? Actually, the best overall method is to keep the oil and battery warm.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  3. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

A friend of mine has a Tecumseh engine on his and no matter what he does it will rarely start. I have a Briggs and it has never failed me yet. The dealer to him to run a higher grade gas in the Tecumseh, at least a mid-grade.
  4. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

Fisher vbox ss with honda engine

I paid the extra $ for the honda but when it's cold out it takes a while to get it going. I don't like to keep cranking the motor over for a long time in fear of draining the battery. It would suck trying to hand start the damn thing when it's 5 F outside. Has anyone had any luck using starting fluid or anything else?:gunsfiring:
  5. Henry

Henry Member

What oil are running in it? Make sure it's multi viscosity.
  6. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

We run 5w40 full synthetic in ours [nock on wood no problems]and a little mystery oil in the fuel at every fill up.The way I look at is an extra $3 or $4 dollars here and there who cares,its making me ALOT more then that[We run the 9hp briggs]and new batteries every season
  7. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Battery failure can be almost eliminated by running pos. & neg. wire from truck battery to sander battery. Also , most of the time the starting issue is carbureation . Yearly the carb should be cleaned . Another cheap helper is to replace the junk gas line filter that comes with the motor and replace it with a good paper element gas line filter.