1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vbox spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fastxcr800, Oct 27, 2014.

1. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

pintle chain or auger? Advantages and disadvantages for both?

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I prefer auger. Pintle chains stretch and need to be adjusted. Also, my auger driven spreader only has one grease point to worry about, and I believe most chain driven ones have three. Not that that's a big deal.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Chain and Gas V box Mine I bought in 94 or 95 Im on my 2nd chain
    Sure they stretch but doesn't take much to adjust I only have 3 grease points on the chain spockets
    First one wore the cross bars to where it was ready to be replace thinking that was back in 09 or 10
    Im still waiting for the clutch to go out I have one ready to go in

4. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I wish Salt Dogg had an option of electric with pintle chain. Sometimes, I want to dump salt out faster than the little auger feels like working...

VBX in the future?!?

5. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

so an auger feeds slow?

6. JustJeff

Sure doesn't seem slow to me. I'm able to spread as much and as quickly as I want.

7. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

I see your running saltdogg. how do you like it? They are on my list for consideration, price seems to be very good however I don't want something cheap/low quality

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would say there's less replacement costs with a auger versus a chain over time. Our one v box is a chain and I pray to God it hasn't frozen up. We dumped Fluid Film on it at the end of the season like we always do but looking at it yesterday it looks pretty rusty....they are 400 bucks! In all the years we've had it we've adjusted it it one time and ours has 4 grease points on the chain (all 4 corner bearings) and a couple more on the shaft bearings and 1 sprocket bearing. I would say in the long run an auger set up will last longer.

9. JustJeff

I like it a lot. Price was definitely a good point for me, but I also looked at the Tornado and Polycaster (same units). I have a ladder rack on my truck and I would have had to take it off in order to use the spreader because of the doors they have on top of them. So, between the price, pintle chain, and the plastic doors on top that would have forced me to remove my ladder rack, I went the route that I did. I'm glad I did too. Not low quality at all.

10. John_DeereGreen

Compared to pintle, yes. It's a smoother materials flow with auger, so your spread pattern is a little more even.

11. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

so auger is better because it has smoother flow since it runs slower correct?

12. Antlerart06

Every spring I pull my Chain out and set it in a tub of oil sets like that all summer

I think a Auger would wear faster and maybe not and maybe someone will come post one that's 10+ yrs old

$400 isn't bad

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have to figure out how to take the chain off one of these days. Usually the FF sticks around all summer and it still looks wet this time of year but we'll see I guess. We bough it new in 06 or 07 and it's probably spread 600-700 tons of salt with ZERO problems but I figure like everything, it's due.

14. Antlerart06

Its easy to remove The pins at front inspection cover

If you start doing it just remember the way chain comes out
    I always roll it up to the way it goes back in

I hate to say how tons been in mine

15. John_DeereGreen

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Are your properties small, 1 acre or less where speed isn't as big of a deal, or are you trying to salt 5 acre properties where you want to drive at 20 MPH and empty the spreader in 5 minutes?

We run all Salt Dogg spreaders with augers, but on the larger properties it's a good bit slower than the old gas powered pintle chain that we had the first year we ran v boxes.

16. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

Auger would be good for small to moderate sized lots? How slow must you run?

17. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Anger is good all around.
    We ran them for years, never had issues with the auger wearing down. Auger spreaders = less maintenance.
    Augers don't really have a chute or material control like chains do. That's why you can empty them so fast

18. F250/XLS

F250/XLS Senior Member
    from Canada

What about thé fisher unit in général ,,
    Don t see much about it ,,, anyone uses
    It ??