1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vbox spreader suggestions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PTTP08, Jan 30, 2013.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I hate my buyers tailgate spreader!! you can't spread bulk salt in this unit it jamms up ALL the time. It jamms up so bad I burned up that tiny 1/8 horse motor. Now I am going to buy the biggest motor that will fit with an auger kit. Hopefully that works.

But next season I would like to upgrade to a smaller poly vbox. What is a affordable and quality unit? Saltdogg,Meyers,Saltx? I live in MN so if anybody could point me to a dealer that would be great thanks!

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Your tailgate spreader is not made for bulk salt hence the jamming and burning up the motor. I ran a buyers tailgate for 10 years and never had a problem with as I ran bagged salt through the unit which it is intended for. If you want a decent product for a god price I would go with the buyers salt off poly vbox. Call up Angelo's in Michigan as they usually have the best price on new units and you can get the 1.5 or 2 yard units. All depends on how much salt you use. Or look on CL as there will quite a few units for sale at the end of this season for a good price.

3. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

install a vibrator on the side or bottom . it'll spreader wet bulk with sand mix .

4. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I do run bagged salt through it and it still jamms not as bad as bulk salt but it does jamm. Spreader does work great with the finer salt which is more expensive and than cuts into your profit margin. I will how ever keep the unit around for either a back an or set up another truck with it.

5. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Were would a guy buy a kit for this?

6. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

I have a snoway tailgate but hardley use it, bag saly works good most of the time but still jammes up a bit.

guys on here seem to like the saltdogg vboxx

7. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Check out Vibco vibrators. I needed to put a new vibrator on my saltdogg put one of these on and its night and day difference. Silent when in operation.

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Gotcha I just thought you were running bulk through the unit. I had the trouble with bagged once when it was real fine. Made them come and pick it up and bring me a new load of salt with not so many fines in it. Angelo's has salt box vibrators or just google it and you can find a lot for sale. Just have to reinforce the spreader box where you attach so you don't crack the plastic when running the unit.

9. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

10. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Just ordered a buyers vibrater kit from ebay. My wife got a kick out of it vibrater haha. If this works out I am ganna pimp out my other tailgate sander which is brand new its just missing the motor I got it from an auction dirt cheap. Still ganna get a vbox next season. There is one thing I like about the salter is the portability of the unit.

11. bytheyardlandsc

bytheyardlandsc Member
    from ohio

are you sure the spiner is turning the right direction? just asking because I seen this happen before , were some salt would come out but took forever. here he wired it wrong. and with the motor spinner and auger all one unit it would just push the salt upwards. just asking

12. banonea

banonea PlowSite Fanatic

As far as a v-box, I would go with a western tornado. I just went to Bloomington IL from Rochester, MN an got mine on 2/6/13 and I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. call Quality truck 1-800-678-2459 and ask for Matt. they will beat any price around here by $2000.00 easy. Or if you don't have many accounts you salt, I got a Western Flow-pro2 for sale that is set up to be a hitch mount. It has belt to the spinner and I run bulk salt/sand all day long. I know they also sell them new. Mine is 2 years old, I got it used and It runs great as well.